RE: O/T: Grassology

Page 2 of 3
snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote in writes:

I didn't claim to be. I just said that, having been there once, I saw no reason to return.

No, it doesn't. http://hotair.com/archives/2014/04/14/california-budget-surplus-nope-not-so-much/
"Neil Ward" wrote:

--------------------------------------------- True
Lew

That's priceless coming from you. Just read through your last two years of posting.
On Fri, 23 May 2014 16:03:28 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

Stalker
"Neil Ward" wrote:

"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

After spending a little time looking at the site, looks like the classic shell game of moving existing revenues around.
Don't see where any new revenues are dedicated to the basic problem.
Although $2.6 billion sounds like a lot of money, it doesn't go very far when it comes to building roads and bridges.
Lew
On 5/24/2014 4:08 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

You are correct.
The $2.6 billion was spent before the new governor took office in 01-14-2013. We have better state roads, and I-69 was opened from Oakland City, to Crane, IN on 11-19-2012.
Neil

Where on that site do you imagine that you saw *that*?

That's because that particular page is devoted to describing what the money is being spent on, not where it comes from. There is *nothing* there, except your own imagination, that even remotely suggests "the classic shell game of moving existing revenues around."
The funding for Major Moves comes from a lease deal concluded about ten years ago: the Indiana Toll Road was leased to an Austrailian-Spanish consortium for 75 years, and the state got the money up front.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana_Toll_Road#Major_Moves

Perhaps you misread it. That's "billion" with a B. And the page describes in considerable detail exactly what's being done -- looks to me like it's going pretty far.
Apparently your description of having spent "a little time" looking at the site was an exaggeration.
On 5/24/2014 5:00 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

It would not go far in California. 50% of the money would go toward impact studies of fire scorched land. 20% would go to politicians pockets. 15% would go toward cleanup after the build. 10% would mysteriously disappear. 5% would go toward the Asphalt patch truck that would actually be used to do the improvements.
298% would go towards the state's dept for cost over runs.
And then you would have the cost of all of those cancer warning labels. ;~)

the legislature's pension, AIUI).
--------------------------------------------- "Lew Hodgett" wrote: ----------------------------------------------

"Neil Ward" wrote:

You mean they are still screwing around completing the interstate highway system?
Eisenhower signed off of that program in 1956.
Glad to see some of the existing roads improved.
Driving from Huntington to Monticello (US-24) was a real grind given existing road conditions.
Have relatives scattered all along that part of US-24 who are farmers and have been for at least 125 years.
(My grandparents are buried in Logansport.)
They are quite happy with the crappy roads since it keeps their property taxes low and they don't travel anyway.
Where are you located?
Lew
On 5/24/2014 10:10 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

During the mid 1970s state and county roads North of U.S. 40 were much better that roads South of 40.
Southwest corner: about 30 miles NE of Evansville.
Neil

No, it's not true. You don't appear to have any more idea than Lew about how Major Moves was funded.
On 5/24/2014 10:59 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

"Neil Ward" wrote: > > You are correct. > > The $2.6 billion was spent before the new governor took office in > 01-14-2013. We have better state roads, and I-69 was opened from > Oakland City, to Crane, IN on 11-19-2012.
My understanding of how "Major Moves" is funded: Indiana in 2006 leased 157 miles of our 55 year old publicly financed Indiana East–West Toll Road to Indiana Toll Road Concession Co. Indiana got $3.8 billion in cash. ITRCC got the right to collect tolls on the road for the next 75 years. Indiana used $2.6 billion of the upfront cash to fund "Major Moves" in addition to funds from: fuel taxes; federal aid and reimbursement, trucking fees and license, vehicle and driver license fees.
INDOT has about 12,000 miles of roads that they are responsible for, Indiana receives about $900. million in federal highway maintenance funding. I would like to know how "Major Moves" is really funded.
Neil

Where have you been for the last fifty-eight years, Lew? Do you *really* think that Indiana is the only state that's built any interstate highways since then?
Get a clue.

You just described how it's "really funded". What's your point?
On Sun, 25 May 2014 03:00:44 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller

Being a Californicator, perhaps Lew is dumbfounded that some states have money to actually build infrastructure.

"Neil Ward" wrote:

Tell me the votes are north of US-40?
Do you recognize a town on the river by the name of "Derby?
Lew
On 5/25/2014 11:44 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Yes, I believe Derby is near Tell City.
Neil
"Neil Ward" wrote:

"Neil Ward" wrote:

My father grew up around Derby, Magnet and Tell City.
When he went north to get a job, they gave him the nickname of "Derby".
It stuck and appears on his gravestone.
Does Tell City still have the furniture building company?
Lew