RE: O/T: Damn Cigarettes

Page 3 of 3

I agree completely.
Doug Miller wrote:

On a slow day, I inquired about this to the cashier at Walgreen (Pharmacy), more than 10 years ago. But she didn't seem to understand what I was talking about, and she that she "only worked there part-time". So in case you have any questions about what some of these cashiers are really thinking about, I offer you that data point! ; )

Perhaps more, as the smokers get used to shopping elsewhere.

Lew Hodgett wrote:

"Leon" wrote:

You are a little slow Leon.
This whole thing got started when the city of San Francisco enacted city law prohibiting sale of tobacco products in drug stores 8-10 years ago.
CVS, as well as the big box stores, and the tobacco companies tried to fight it but learned again that you don't fight city hall.
Everybody else dropped their law suits against S/F.
CVS decided to not fight and instead complied so extending this across all 7600 stores is not such a big deal for them to implement.
Lew
On 2/5/2014 6:56 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Perhaps Lew, if you had given all of the details it would have made more sense the first time around.

And you call that move, giving up at fighting the law, a good will gesture???
"Leon" wrote:

Taken from the web on background for much of the day after the original post.
I'm just a parrot on this one.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

I saw the "announcement" on the evening news.

This morning's news say Walgreens is examining the policy contemplating a similar policy change.
"CVS cigarette move urges action by Walgreens, rivals" "Walgreen instead launches a free, Internet-based smoking cessation program"
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2014-02-05/business/chi-walgreen-cigarettes-20140205_1_tobacco-sales-cvs-caremark-walgreen-co
Dave in SoTex