RE: O/T: And Now I Know

Went grocery shopping tonight.
As I was bagging my groceries and noticed the man in front of me was wearing a monogrammed shirt of some marina.
Asked him about the shirt and his response was an indication he had some kind of mental problem(s).
He was unable to remember where he got the shirt or any of the details about it.
He then complained about how difficult his life had become.
He had to remember lots of numbers today just to live his life.
Land line phone number, cell phone number, bank PIN number, multiple internet user names, PIN numbers, security codes, etc, etc.
I could relate to the poor devil, life is certainly more complex than it was say 30 years.
There was a time when simplifying my life could be measured by how many keys were on my key chain.
The goal was to have only ONE (1) key and that was for the boat.
If I was sailing, didn't need any keys,
That didn't work out, but still don't have many keys on my key ring.
Off the box except hope that poor devil can get some help.
Lew

I'll never forget when I first became the owner of a washer and dryer. It was the first time in my life I could no longer pack everything in a car and head out for the unknown.
--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)

"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

"Swingman" wrote:

Came with the house we purchased used (W&D), but sure beat driving to the laundromat twice a week to do laundry..
Had two(2) in diapers at the time.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

As long as he remembers the important things, like recognizing his own name and his family and knowing how to get home, he'll be OK. I know I am.
I have probably heard a song a hundred times and knew who sang it, but sometimes when thinking about or humming the melody from a song, I may not remember the song name and/or the singer's name. I usually then go through the alphabet in my head and may pick up the name when I hit the beginning letter of the name. Then again, some melody that I haven't heard in years will come into my head and I'll instantly know the name and the singer who sang it. The latest (yesterday) was a WWII British song called "We'll Meet Again" by Vera Lynn. It was the song during the final credits in "Doctor Strangelove".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHcunREYzNY

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Lew Hodgett wrote:
<snip>

"willshak" wrote:

<snip>

IMHO, that song defines WWII.
In my thoughts, I place myself with those boys staging on those English shores the night before "D-day" was launched wondering how many of them had thoughts of "We'll Meet Again" every time I hear Vera Lynn sing that song.
Lew
On Saturday, November 9, 2013 12:19:54 AM UTC-6, Lew Hodgett wrote:

d him about the shirt and his response was an indication he had some kind o f mental problem(s). He was unable to remember where he got the shirt or an y of the details about it.
The onnset of dementia/symptoms?

Some good long time ago, I noticed a similar perspective, within myself. T he scenario you described, of the man, seems to be of his personal life and living, not anything business related. As for my "business" associations, I seem to be goverened by the clock and that's okay.... it's limited. As for my personal associations, I no longer wear a watch, hence I govern mys elf or go with the flow, as things confront me. I find this "don't be gov erned by the clock" approach to be much more pleasing, comfortable and mana geable, and this approach seems to dispense with some/many of those other ( society imposed?) "obligations" you've described of the man.
Sonny
Sonny wrote:

I haven't worn a watch since I retired in 1999.
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I haven't worn one since ~1984. No need. There are clocks in just about everything that plugs in, these days.
On Saturday, November 9, 2013 11:55:54 AM UTC-6, k

The idea was not only to not be goverened by time, but not by so many of to day's gadgets, so much; to wean oneself from the clock, first, then weanin g oneself from, or becoming less dependent on, "societal" gadgets, so much, becomes easier. Frees one from the worries, complications, etc. the gadg ets seem to carry with them, impose(?) upon us, demand(?) from us, in order for us to best (sic) function.
Sonny

We're all governed by time. We only have so much. To not be governed by time is to not have relationships, business or personal.
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Of course, time gets the final word on the matter.

Interesting take on it. However, you still have to deal with other humans who have the same issues. Clocks allow that to happen to the advantage of both.
Sonny wrote:

teenager, I observed that I was "a little obsessive" about looking at my watch, and I gave up wearing it in my free time. I do not put my watch back on until I go to work, and I'll remove it as soon as I get home. I had forgotten about that "little bit of freedom" I had claimed for myself. But it reminds me a alot of some of the posts I made on "Advertising".
Bill
On Fri, 8 Nov 2013 22:19:54 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"

I only have three keys (truck, house, and an office desk drawer - too keep my tools from walking away).
Passwords, cell phone, apps, pin numbers, sandwich cards, deli card, Right Aid card, Safeway Card, Visa, Master, zip, telephone, license number, ein #, ss number, combination, key, key 1 key 2 key 3,
just to name a few.....phew.......I know why some cave in..... too bad, yes, it is more difficult.... john