Re: MINOR PLANER PROBLEM

Have you thought about copying a motorcycle lift ? Puff

You might want to contemplate a "trundle bed", as a source of inspiration.

"Because."
You want something that: rolls away _under_ something else. you pull out, and raise to 'working' level. is stable/steady in the raised position.
A trundle bed works *exactly* in that manner.
You're right, there isn't any _conceivable_ reason why someone might suggest it as a possible idea source.

With traditional trundle beds, a ten-year-old can do it. with one hand.
The mechanism is *spring*loaded*.
It locks in both the up and down positions.
Pull it out, release the lock, and it 'pops up', and locks in the up position.
To put it away, typically you sit on it, release the lock, and it goes down and locks.
Hey Joat, how about putting the planer on a spinning type thingy. I think I have seen such a thing but it had three different tools that can be spun to the top when you wanted to use it.
Ted
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (T.) wrote in message

snipped-for-privacy@iron.net (Bigpole) wrote in

Something like this????
Lets say your work bench is 32 inches tall. Make a rolling stand that is 30 inches tall, 24 inches wide and 12 inches deap. You want the top attached so that is flips over. Make the pivit point slightly off center so that the weight of the top holds it against a stop. Put a pin in so that it can be locked in place. Now attach your planer to the top. With the top flipped up the planer sits up nice and high. With it down it fits under the bench.
I kinda like that idea ;)
Here is 1 - make the planer on a sliding track (up and down) get an old jack and put it under it - when you want use it - slid it out - jack it up. When you are down - jack it down.
I still like the flipping table idea tho.

A thought:
Lever to lift one end, place appropriately sized block underneath, go to other end, repeat. The block could be mounted so as to swing down into place. Block could be made of almost anything, 2x4s, log from the back yard cut to size, whatever. Ditto for the lever and fulcrum.
To lower, reverse procedure.
Mike
On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 01:48:57 -0500 (EST), snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (T.) wrote:

Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (T.) wrote in message

I have space issues too, so I made a stand that holds both my planer AND the sander. Seems to work well, for me: low, but not too low for comfort, though I don't have a bad back . . . Bottom shelf provides additional storage space. Below is a picture:
http://home.att.net/~slurban3/Photos/Shopdog-480.jpg
Cheers,
Scott

Agreed. The fun part for me is modifying something to make it easy for me to use. I might curse and swear through the entire modification process, but when it's finished, it's all worth it.