Re: ### micro-FAQ on wood # 021

How about adding the explanation of why a Live Oak is called a Live Oak.
On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 13:24:44 +0200, "P van Rijckevorsel"

Great info! Thanks. I found one link was not correct (it may depend on your browser) but the link that worked for me is: http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplgtr/fplgtr113/fplgtr113.htm
(lower case on FPLGTR)
TWS
Thank you. I am sure I just copied this link from an open window, but perhaps they changed it? PvR

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 13:24:44 +0200, "P van Rijckevorsel"

In Northeastern North America, White cedar (Thuja occidentalis) is probably more common than Eastern red cedar.

*** Thanks. I suppose it could not hurt PvR
schreef

Yeah it would at least answer why that answer is false. And, it is a rather simple explanation as possibly compared to the differences between a red and white oak.
On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 13:25:27 GMT, "Leon"

Tree stays green year-round?

Basically correct, but many trees especially Pines do that. Unlike the trees that drop their leaves in the fall, the Live Oak drops its leaves for a very brief period in the Spring. As the new growth leaves begin to appear, the old leaves drop off. Therefore the Live Oak tree is never with out leaves even though it does drop its all of its old leaves. It appears to be Live as opposed to dead like many appear when without their leaves in the winter.