FAQ on fencing anywhere?

Hi.

I'm installing a new fence using 4" featheredge over wooden posts and arris rails. The posts being supported on repair spurs. I wanted more info on the fitting of the featheredge board and gravel boards but can only find this...

must be more out there. I've looked in this groups faq,
and found nothing. Anyone point me to a detailed fencing howto? Anyone want to make one to add to the FAQ? :)

Thanks.

Mike Barnard

I built one 20 years ago. I bought all the bits from Wickes (walking distance), and I probably used their Good Ideas leaflet, which you can get from their website now:

's still standing strong, with the original posts in their original Fensock post spikes*. The featheredge boards do shrink though -- they started off with lots of overlap, but now barely touch each other. Various neighbours with wooden panel fences have been through about 3 lots in the same 20 years.

*Fensock was another make of Metaposts, which I haven't seen for some time now. Fensock were better quality than Metaposts, and Metaposts were a lot better quality than they are now...
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I've used wickes wood before. Never had a good bit yet. A local fencing supplier will get my wood business. Especially as it's half the price of Wickes.

Mike Barnard

Some info here

uk.d-i-y FAQ is at
Google uk.d-i-y archive is at
NOSPAM from address to email me

Reply to
Phil Addison

Thanks

Mike Barnard

Mike ... I built a 250m long fence using concrete H posts, gravel boards and wood fencing (no panels) ... happy to explain what I did if you want to know ...

Reply to
Rick Hughes