Re: Jet...Junk?

Page 2 of 2

Yep, same old rat race, just new rats.
DexAZ
Swingman wrote:

Good grief.
Though I can sort of see it in a way. Next they'll do the same for BORG type jobs. After all, grabbing items and slapping them across a scanner is another robot-like endeavor. Next thing you know, every cashier in the country will have a manufacturing job.
I would prefer to always buy American made products but that's increasingly difficult now, obviously. I don't really have anything against an import saw or other tool but if I can find one made in America that's as good as the import and isn't significantly more expensive then I'll buy it. That being said, I couldn't find any saw for anywhere near the same money as my General Internationl 50-185 LM1 that had the same features or quality. Regarding the Jet, I wasn't all that impressed with them. Nice saw, but for the money I liked the GI better. I looked at four different models of Jet saw from the cheapest contractor saw to a fully outfitted cabinet saw and all four had what I would call an unuseable miter gauge. The pin that the head rotated on was loose in it's hole. You could tighten the adjustment down as tight as possible but there was no way tighten the pin in it's hole. All four were like that. I asked the store manager at one store and the salesman at another and both had never noticed it before. Neither had an explanation but the manager guy did say he'd call Jet about it and get back to me...He never did and I suspect it's because Jet just shrugged their shoulders. I strongly considered buying the Jet hybrid saw from my local dealer but because of the useless miter gauge and, more importantly, because the dealer never addressed the issue I'm now the very satisfied owner of the GI saw. I paid less and overall got a better saw. Ok, so I haven't tried to deal with GI customer service but I haven't had too either.
Bruce Redding, Ca.
Doug Miller wrote:

Second that... It's gotten to the point, sad though it may be, where Made in Taiwan is a relatively good thing. I'd buy Taiwanese over Chinese any day, even if China still insists that Taiwan is a wayward province.
American is better, of course, but let's not even go there.
AFAIK, JET has *always* been an importer. Am I wrong about that old time Wreckers? Seems they came onto the scene with imported copies of Delta tools, and they've always been an importer, rather than a manufacturer.
Japan Equipment & Tools was, I believe, the original J.E.T.

Myth - According to the "Jet History" section in my Ittura Designs catalog. The history is a tad obscure and relies on knowledge of early workers. But the story goes that "Whazz-His-Name" (the man who started Jet) rode an early 707 to Japan. Liked it, was impressed, and adapted the moniker to his company.
Yes - according to that history - Jet started as an importer. What plans WMH has for it, remains to be seen.
mttt wrote:

What else do you expect? They're going to dump quality into the toilet and slap JET stickers on every piece of crap they can get their hands on. That's what such people almost always do. Buy a respected brand, sell anything they can lay their hands on under that brand, run it into the toilet, and then get rid of the division after its reputation is destroyed.
(Yes, I'm still pissed off about the total crap sitting on store shelves wearing the Tonka brand name. Hasbro, you suck, and I don't mean that in a Wreck way.)
Silvan wrote:

I think it was 1969.
I left my Tonka dump truck (PayHauler) in the drives turn around. My mother backed the LTD into it's bed. I swear the tire was off the ground.
Only damage to the Tonka was the bed side got bent. Axles didn't bend and the tires didn't break.
Those were toys built to last.

Mark

N.E. Ohio

Longer than their users.
In 1970, I was five. I got hit in the head by a Tonka truck, and ended up in the hospital
The rest is history...
Barry
Mark wrote:

Yes they were! I have some old Tonka stuff from the '70s myself. The plastic windshields and cab interiors look worse for wear, but the metal stuff is still fine. I have a couple of pumper trucks with little rubber push bulb things to shoot water out a hose. They still work.
I watched Tonka's downfall with my son. Around '94, we bought a dump truck and a back hoe. He eventually broke the back hoe, after digging lots of real rocky dirt with the thing for hours on end. In around '97 we bought him another one. The whole arm and bucket on the thing were PLASTIC. It lasted a couple of months.
The first one was made in America. The second one in China. What's worse, they started slapping Tonka logos on all kinds of Chinese low budget crap. The kind of cheap little car stuff you'd buy for your kid to give away at a birthday party. Nothing even Tonkaesque about them.
I hate Hasbro. Look around. They're the Microsoft of the toy world. They own Parker Bros., Milton Bradley, ad nauseum. You can tell when they've taken over someone new because you go to buy a new copy of a favorite old game, and now it's new and incredibly crappy for twice the price.
Sorry. Rant off. I know this is totally off-topic, unless you go so far as to mention that they do still sell ultra premium Monopoly sets with wooden houses. (OBWWR... wooden houses, see...)
Yes, they have always been an importer. Long before they got much into woodworking, they had a line of imported metalworking machinery. Some models of their bandsaws weren't bad but most were junk. Their milling machines were garbage, through and through.

I have an early jet horizontal/vertical metal cutting bandsaw. it works fine, and appears to be identical to the delta and harbor freight models.
<<<My BP goes up a bit every time I have to grab a "mm" wrench.>>
The whole world is metric except US and England.
Quick, divide 1.301mm by 5.
Now try 4 ft. 3 in and 7/32"
The world does change....
For the better.
England is officially metric.

or even Harley Davidson for that matter "Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day,fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way......"

Zowie dude - relax. You're heading for an aneurism. Save your strokes for bigger things - things like Torx!

Don't think of it as "Taiwan" - think of it as "Formosa".

I'ma thinking you're kind of inherently disappointable. Maybe? Huh?
10 years ago, the gray haired American educated and born internist finished my father's physical exam. The young Iranian med student at his side, asked if it would be ok if he palpated my father's abdomen. That young foreigner discovered an aortic aneurism - a ticking time bomb for sure death which the internist had missed. The repair surgery was successful and I have had a father to coach and support me through the most tumultuous years of my career.
Quality can be found in all nations. I buy lots of Jet.