Re: Building kitchen cabinets - any cost savings?

Damn, you can't win for losing ... the average size of the thumbnails on the website has always been purposely around 46 KB.

Somehow this new 6 mp camera, and the new version of PSP, combined are not rendering the thumbnails down to that target size. Didn't even notice it until you mentioned it. Thanks.

Reply to
Swingman

Your day job to go on the road full time?

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

That should have been 16 KB, not 46.

Reply to
Swingman

"Swingman" wrote

Let me get this right.

Your fancy new digital camera and other software/hardware are conspiring against you?

Similar things happen around my place as well.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I feel your pain ... my paranoia has increased logarithmically with each passing year since I built my first computer (Heathkit) in 1968. (Actually, it might have started about the time I built that crystal radio set in the early 50's.)

Reply to
Swingman

Finally got around to taking pictures this morning ... for all practical purposes this one is ready to fire up and maybe cook some gumbo:

Swingman

Reply to
Pat Barber

LOL ... The gas is definitely on for the top burners, and the 220v for the oven is definitely wired correctly, as I checked both myself. I should at least heat up a bowl of soup to celebrate the occasion, but that honor will have to go to the new occupants.

Reply to
Swingman

VERY NICE indeed!!!!!

the "Projects1" (Page 1) in Roman style? I am trying to figure out which style template to buy at this time (I have none and they are $100/set).

Chuck

Reply to
CNT

Thanks ...

I am not an architect by any means, however the Project 1 doors were drawn as what I would call an "oval" arch; whereas the latter is, I believe, more technically described as "cathedral", although they are, purposely, fairly gentle in that respect.

Reply to
Swingman

I agree!! Beautiful work. Love those counter tops. Personally, I would have prefered upper cabinets surroundng the window, but maybe it wouldn't work in this application.

Quite efficient in construction time too. This would have taken me years to build. Thanks for sharing your project with us.

One question, did you forget the refrigerator?

Gary

Reply to
Gary

Very Nice! I like the layout. I'll post mine in about a month. I went in the opposite direction, I wanted a modern look with spending as little as possible and as little time as possible but doubling storage and the countertop I want. Ceramic Flooring, Ikea Cabinetry,.Silestome Counter and Island so far including some choice tools, I'm just short of $7K. (3.5K for countertop) After everything is up and running, I'll start making maple cabinet doors.

Originally, I had 4 contractors bid on doing the jobs with about 14 L. Ft. they all came back with 25K to 35K+ figures, (refacing was 18K w/2custom cabinets). Honestly, I wasn't impressed with many of the Manufactured cabinets, in all cases you could see where they cut costs to maximize profits. So I examined building them, not cheap either. For quality wood, your still going to pay for it and then even hardware like handles and drawer slides are getting costly. Creating a overly costly Kitchen is easy too, the challenge being in doing a mid-quality level ass cheap as possible. Ikea gave me the all Al/Glass cabinets I wanted, for the price of just outsourcing 1 set of A/G doors (550.00).....

Even though I'm retired my time is more money then I first estimated and over 50 I don't move as quick or lift as much. What I realized was that very few people when I sell the home will appreciate the cabinetry if I did it myself, and honestly most now would redo it they're way (and break my heart). As they say location location, location......

Reply to
HMFIC-1369

Nope, that's a very good point. AAMOF, I did that in my own kitchen (added shelves on both sides of the window over the sink) ... and there is still room to do that for the buyers.

it's been amply demonstrated that many women prefer to have the wall space on the sides of the kitchen windows for calendars, weather stations, personal pictures, message boards, etc.... sometime you have to leave the canvas blank in spots so they can fill in according to their tastes. I can go back and put in whatever they want during final negotiations.

Again, and in this price range, I like to leave the choice of refrigerator to the buyer. It is a personal decision for most women who, IME, are the ones who actually make the purchase decision based, in large part, on the kitchen and master suite/bath ... this way their desires can be better accommodated during final negotiations.

Reply to
Swingman

I hear you loud and clear. I am 62 and starting to feel myself slow down also, Besides being a lot of physical work, it's almost impossible to find help that will stick around long enough to make hiring worthwhile. On this particular job I had one hired hand for less than 3 days during the entire fabrication and installation. (Leon, bless his heart, cut the end panels to spec for me and saved me both time and back.)

Cabinet work in this area, even in the most expensive homes these days, is often done by folks from a desert climate who never saw wood until they swam over here. While some do fair work, as a general rule the workmanship is appalling. The contrast between my cabinets and the rest of the cabinetry in the house speaks for itself _loudly_, and usually makes a good selling point.

That said, I can still put a good amount of $$ in my pocket by doing some kitchens myself, and at the same time add to the selling points of the home. I am also fortunate to be married to a veritable blood hound when it comes to finding quality fixtures at closeout prices, and she does all the interior decorating to boot.

Your remarks about "appreciation" are right on ... many folks don't know quality from K-mart these days because they've never experienced it, and the current idea is that a kitchen cabinet's life is less than 15 years.

Makes it increasingly tougher to justify doing good work, commercially, with that prevailing wind ...

(I am betting that is one of the reasons an obviously skilled, world class, artisan/cabinetmaker like Tom Watson is now "retired" ... and a damn shame that is).

Reply to
Swingman

I agree that as you get older, something like kitchen construction gets increasingly difficult. Even I'm starting to feel it at the tender age of

  1. But what about the enjoyment part of it? Admittedly, if I was building a kitchen again, I don't have a wife urging me on to get the job finished, but I would be doing it for the sheer enjoyment of getting exactly what I wanted. And later on, the pride I'd feel when I was showing it off to friends and family.
Reply to
Upscale

Yep .. just like playing music, there's only about three things for _doing what you like to do_ that really count:

Exposure; Satisfaction; Payment.

If you can get any two of the three, you should definitely press on.

Reply to
Swingman

Advancement in technology and materials and the shortage of time will eliminate all the Artisans. On the History Channel they had a show about WWII British Aircraft. They made wooden bombers not so much because of metal shortages, but because they lacked experienced metal workers but had tons of Cabinet and Furniture makers. Time takes it's toll! I do two things now, the stock market and making furniture. I can increase my craftsmanship in both areas and not worry about the appreciation factor. I also volunteer doing Habitats for Humanity, I've worked on 6 homes so far and paid with some of the greatest appreciation one can ever receive.

Reply to
HMFIC-1369

Good outfit ... to whom, at the end of every project, we donate excess trim, siding, PT lumber, and all manner of materials. My hat's off to you for both your contributions.

Reply to
Swingman

and to you too.... They survive on the donated materials, we had a great laugh and a good time when a local vendor donated a Jacuzzi which we installed in a retirement home in Conn.

Reply to
HMFIC-1369

project today in case anyone is taking notes.

Reply to
Swingman