Re: Another tool ID needed XII

"firstjois" wrote in news:Mq2dnV1VGp8Gx_zcRVn- snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Too bad there isn't a machinist's newsgroup@

rec.crafts.metalworking. The old-tools enthusiasm that's common amoung woodworkers doesn't really seem to exist amoung hobbiest machinists, tho (they tend to have more enthusiasm for old steam engines & such like, rather than for the tools that built them).

John

Reply to
John McCoy

I think it was probably custom made, it's a little sharp on the edges, not for cutting but from not being sanded (don't know the proper machinist term for that) and the points are fairly sharp. It's just less than 1/16" thick and a magnet will stick to it but not very well. I bought it at the flea market from a guy who sells nothing but tools, it was in a box with a lot of calipers and micrometers. Don't know if I'll ever find the answer to this one.

Also I'm not sure if I'll ever know where #146 came from, it's that piece of metal that says "shut" on both sides. Maybe someone will remember seeing one years ago.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

Could be, but it seems a little sharp for that.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

I'm sure it would work for that, but I don't think that's what it is.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

Thanks, maybe I'll post the question there.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

The book mark or paper clip worked for me until I noticed that it appears to be too thick to bend easily as might be required for a book mark. Looks to be stainless steel also. I'm sticking with ball mark repair tool ..LOL

Reply to
Leon

Perhaps a clock makers multi tool.

Also possibly 146 is a fire place "flue shut" reminder. When the flue is closed the "Shut reminder hangs down into the fire place reminding you to open the flue before striking the match.

Reply to
Leon

I'm thinking some sort of radiator or gas valve handle.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I've found a lot of enthusiasm for old machines, but there are fewer usable ancient lathes etc. than woodworking machines, so less discussion. FWIW I've found woodworkers know less about their tools.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

It might go on the end of a chain, that controls a damper/whatever...

Reply to
Bruce Barnett

I've found things in boxes of machinist tools that I thought were maybe learning/skill developing projects--something a student would have made to study a particular technique, or something made for a particular, one-of-a-kind operation.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Cullimore

That's surprising--there isn't a whole heck of a lot of difference between an ancient and modern lathe aside from the power source.

Reply to
U-CDK_CHARLES\Charles

Is that true for metal-turning lathes as well?

Reply to
Bruce Barnett

Ya know . . . I always assumed that metal turning was "invented" during the machine tooling explosion of the 19th Century, thus accounting for the difference between metalworking lathes versus woodworking lathes.

19th Century machining made the Michaelson-Morley experiment possible, which called into question the existance of Diethlerous (sp) ether, which lead to Einstein's Special Theory of Relativity.

I imagine the power source would have been much the same as on comparable woodworking tools, but I've never seen a woodcut of an old metalworking lathe.

Reply to
U-CDK_CHARLES\Charles

No. but what's "ancient" ?

Given a quick look, I (and most others with an interest) can quite easily date a lather from about 1890 onwards, just by looking. There were a whole range of innovations, both in features to be used, and in techniques for how lathes were made.

If you have any interest in the history of engineering or machine tools, find a copy of LTC Rolt's classic "Tools for the Job".

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Sounds reasonable.

Reply to
R.H.

Could be, it would be nice to find one of these still in use to verify what it is, but I'd be surprised if I ever found one.

Reply to
R.H.

I was thinking along those lines when I bought it, but haven't found confirmation of it.

Reply to
R.H.

You're probably right, it could be anything so I'd be surprised if I find the solution.

Reply to
R.H.

Thinking way back, the small town (< 100) I grew up with had a small feed mill. There were dampers and valves throughout the mill which were activated by pulling on a rope (the valve/damper may have been

20' or more up). Perhaps #146 was attached to one of these ropes (and there was one that said "open" for the other end of the rope/chain).

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal