Re: Another tool ID needed III

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 03:31:46 -0700, R.H. wrote:
94 is a knot called a "monkey fist." Usually found on the end of a heaving line, which is how they get the heavy mooring lines from the ship to the pier. Monkey fists are also used decoratively, on knot boards. The Navy replaced monkey fists with a solid rubber ball about ten years ago. Seems too many sailors were putting lead wieghts in the centers of the fists to get more distance, and there was a rash of pierside line handles with concussions.
Tigger

It's a "Monkey's Fist". It's used to add weight to the end of a line making it easier to throw to somebody.

Yes, it's a monkey's fist knot, I put a lead musket ball in this one.
Rob
    Greetings and Salutations....
On 22 Aug 2004 03:31:46 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (R.H.) wrote:     *snip*

    Well, I recognize #97. I help a beekeeper out, and, that is the knife that is used to uncap the honeycombs when extracting the honey. It is usually heated, so as to slide through the caps on the cells more easily.     Regards     Dave Mundt

snipped-for-privacy@esper.com (Dave Mundt) wrote in message (R.H.) wrote:

Thanks for solving this one for me, I found one that looks just like it on a beekeeping retail site.
Rob

Correct, it's a monkey's fist knot.
Rob

That's not the purpose it was sold for.

Correct.
It does resemble a serving knife, but it's not as wide as most that I've seen. I'll put this on my list of possible answers.

I'll also put this one on my list of possibilities.
Rob
Explain how you are using blogger.com to show your photos. I see some of their suggestions, but I am just curious as to the direction you took.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Eric Anderson) wrote in message

To post photos on blogspot, you need to have an image host on which to store your photos. I use photobucket.com, it's free but since I use it a lot and like it so much I actually sent them some money. My photos are uploaded to this web site, then all I do is copy and paste the photo link from photobucket to blogspot, so my pictures are hot linked from one site to the other. That's all there is to it. Let me know if that wasn't clear.
Rob
I think I understand. I have created an account at each, but I don't think I know why I have to have one a blogspot.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v384/eganders/Chestofdrawersstained004.jpg
has a photo I uploaded. What is the reason for Blogspot, assuming you can see the uploaded photo.
Eric
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (R.H.) wrote in message

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Eric Anderson) wrote in message

If you just want to post photos, then all you need is photobucket, but if you want to add text then you need a web site like blogspot or any other free one that you like. Or you could probably put a little text right on your photo in MS Paint if you wanted to. I'm not sure if blogspot will act as an image host if you upgrade to a premium account, but for the free site it's not available.
Rob

Looks like an egg dipper for coloring eggs at Easter time.

A BeeKeepers knife

A flower pot used in the funeral buisness. It clamps to the rail of the casket. Puff

It does look like one, but it's a little too big for that.

Correct.
I'll put that on my list of possible answers.
Rob
#96 was used on recalcitrant passengers. :-)