Re: advancing hand plane blade to keep shaving wood

Alan W schreef

I find I get 3-4 good minutes of shavings at a stroke every 5-8

seconds, and then I need to advance the blade just a fraction to keep shaving.

====

I pulled the blade tonight and it will no longer shave arm hairs.

Definitely has dulled, but I will try again after I rehone the blade and when I advance it the second time I will remove the blade to test again.

  • + + Yes, many hard woods (not "hardwoods") will dull an edge fairly quickly. Try wengé or panga panga and you will express stand time not in minutes, but in strokes.

Advancing a blade will work because a plane will work reasonably well with even a somewhat dull edge. PvR

Reply to
P van Rijckevorsel

Frank Shute schreef

  • + + I suggest you look at your shavings. These will look different, too. PvR
Reply to
P van Rijckevorsel

Patrick Olguin schreef

as you're using purpleheart. This wood is not only hard, it's full of silica [...]

  • + + Nope. It isn't. Not resistant to teredo either. PvR
Reply to
P van Rijckevorsel

PVR states:

According to William Lincoln, it exudes a gummy residue if heated by dull tools. Might be messy. I've always made sure tools for purpleheart are especially sharp. While teredo (shipworm) is not a particular problem outside oceans (docks, ships, boats, similar structures), powder post beetle can chew up the sapwood.

Charlie Self "The function of posterity is to look after itself." Dylan Thomas

Reply to
Charlie Self

as you're using purpleheart. This wood is not only hard, it's full of silica [...]

Charlie Self schreef

tools. Might be messy.

  • + + That is possible, but only if the relevant tree was damaged during its life. It is not the rule.
  • + +

especially sharp. While teredo (shipworm) is not a particular problem outside oceans (docks, ships, boats, similar structures), powder post beetle can chew up the sapwood.

  • + +
Sapwood is never resistant to anything, no matter what wood you are talking about ... PvR
Reply to
P van Rijckevorsel