Re: advancing hand plane blade to keep shaving wood

shaving.
===> I pulled the blade tonight and it will no longer shave arm hairs.Definitely has dulled, but I will try again after I rehone the blade and when I advance it the second time I will remove the blade to test again.
+ + + Yes, many hard woods (not "hardwoods") will dull an edge fairly quickly. Try weng้ or panga panga and you will express stand time not in minutes, but in strokes.
Advancing a blade will work because a plane will work reasonably well with even a somewhat dull edge. PvR
Add pictures here
โœ–

+ + + I suggest you look at your shavings. These will look different, too. PvR
Add pictures here
โœ–

silica [...]
+ + + Nope. It isn't. Not resistant to teredo either. PvR
Add pictures here
โœ–
PVR states:

According to William Lincoln, it exudes a gummy residue if heated by dull tools. Might be messy. I've always made sure tools for purpleheart are especially sharp. While teredo (shipworm) is not a particular problem outside oceans (docks, ships, boats, similar structures), powder post beetle can chew up the sapwood.
Charlie Self "The function of posterity is to look after itself." Dylan Thomas
Add pictures here
โœ–

silica [...]

+ + + That is possible, but only if the relevant tree was damaged during its life. It is not the rule. + + +

outside oceans (docks, ships, boats, similar structures), powder post beetle can chew up the sapwood.
+ + + Sapwood is never resistant to anything, no matter what wood you are talking about ... PvR
Add pictures here
โœ–