Rand

Page 1 of 2
has anyone heard of Rand tools? what is the quality
Terry
Terry - What kind of tools?
Rand or Ingersoll Rand (http://www.irtools.com/index.asp ) sells a whole host of industrial and automotive tools including compressors, air and impact tools and accessories, construction equipment, etc. With regard to woodworking they are probably best known for compressors, sanding and finishing equipment.
I believe there was a Rand predecessor to the Ingersoll Rand brands but cannot remember what they offered - Anyone else??

Then there was Remington-Rand. Office machines.

George wrote:

Unrelated company though. Ingersoll-Rand dates back to the 1870s and was always an air-tool company, the result of the merger of Ingersoll Rock Drill with the Rand & Waring Drill & Compressor Company in 1905. Remington-Rand dates to the 1920s and results from the merger of Remington Typewriter with Rand Kardex.

--
--John
On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 18:14:46 -0400, "J. Clarke"

Amazing! I didn't know they were made of wood though.
Bill.

So far no one has mentioned Rand McNally or Ayn Rand or Randy Newman or Dresser-Rand or Randy Travis or Rand-Scot Inc. or Frederick S. Pardee Rand Graduate School or Randy Bachman
or it could be...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&categoryB283&itemC15802313 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category 780&itemC15803929 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category 784&itemC15804445
Move over Jet.
UA100
Companies seem to buy and sell each other at such a rate, swapping names, stock and management, and making whatever makes bucks, almost any seems possible.
I still remember an assigned M-1, manufactured by Rock-Ola, which was immediately right, in the rack, of an IBM....

I think the OP is talking about the cheap Chinese "Rand" tools that are often peddled on ebay. If so, you can get the same level of quality (some would say lack of quality) for less money from Harbor Freight.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
snipped-for-privacy@fellspt.charm.net (Lawrence Wasserman) wrote in message

I agree with Lawrence I don't think the Rand tools sold on ebay are Ingerssol Rand brand. I shamefully purchased a Rand mini lathe, it was very cheap price, and it performs like the price I paid. Do you hear birds chirping??? (cheap! cheap!). They are of low quality and I only purchased to get a feel for turning before I commit to spending big for a quality lathe.
Also a verb,
I got a new car and Rand the wheels off it.
DurRand, DuRand?
The name and tool, band saw, came up when doing a search on EBay. I'd never heard of the company. It turns out they also make some other stuff. Some of the specs looked good...but it is hard to tell in the pictures Terry
Terry Cano wrote:

This appears to be yet another "rand", neither Remington- nor Ingersoll-. I'd want to see the tool and an address for the manufacturer before I even thought about buying.
--
--John

generic chinese bottom end stuff. you're probably better off buying that kind of equipment from harbor freight. not that the tools will be better, but at least there is somebody there for you to return it to for warranty processing when it explodes....
Terry Cano wrote:

Can't swing a dead cat on eBay without numerous hits coming up.

Probably in line with the price you pay.
UA100

AAAHHHH yes indeed, my good man. Born right here in Missouri. Quality??? Seemed okay to me. http://www.exoticworldusa.org/hallfame/sally.shtml Appeared right here at the Boone County Fair...sheriff closed down her show, however, because he said," she left too little to the imagination."
Larry
I love it! Clear, accurate, to the point.
What WERE we talking about - I forgot.

???? Channel 3 ????
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

You in little ol' Boone County, Larry? Give me a hoot, we could be neighbors.
Dan

A while back it is the scroll saw that had me searching the 'net for a maker's website but I found nothing and no link or reference on the IR site, so.... I would not doubt that IR is controlling production of these tools in China, who knows. No doubt an email to IR and these sellers will reveal something. It all LOOKS like decent tools... it don't tell nuthin'.
...hope this helps, Alex
suncoastdeals: http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=suncoastdeals&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rowsP summitcentral: http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=summitcentral&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rowsP
metal cutting band saw http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&itemC16305416 cement mixer (non WW) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&itemC16305445 2" brad nailer http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&itemC16305532 drill press http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&itemC16305412 10" wet tile saw (non WW) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&itemC16305403 portable tile / stone saw (non WW) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&itemC15771444 37"x12" wood lathe http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&itemC16305356 8 pc. wood lathe turning tool set http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&itemC16305593 14" cut-off saw http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&itemC16305037 air crown staple gun http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&itemC16305012 6" wood jointer http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&itemC16305007 12 1/2" thickness planer http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&itemC16304645 16" scroll saw http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&itemC16304637 small bandsaw (?") http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&itemC16304573 mortising machine http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&itemC16304320 24 volt cordless hammer drill http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&itemC16304298 tire inflator gun with dial gauge (non WW) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&itemC16304677 12V electric winch 6000lb. (possibly WW) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&itemC15573259