rail and stile bit problem

I'm using a one piece rail/stile bit in a router table altho I think I'd have the same problem with a two bit set.
I can cut the stiles fine. I can cut either the end grain or the length cut on the rail with no problem. My problem seems to be with the *second* cut on the rail. For example - I cut the profile on the end grain of the rail - on my bit this is good side down. Next I want to cut the profile along the length of the rail - adjust the bit as required - this cut is good side face up. Make the cut -
When the bit meets the end cut profile I get a slightly deeper cut - it looks like the bearing surface loses contact. FWIW. I've used a fence in line with the bearing and no fence at all - same issue. I'm guessing it's a matter of technique but I'm puzzled.
Any thoughts?
Thanx,
Vic Baron
--
There are 10 kinds of people - those who understand binary and those who
don't

Make sure you use good downward pressure when running stock through the router table. A flat table is a must for repeatable cuts and setups. Dave

Made me think a bit Dave and you hit the nail on the head. I'm pushing too hard *against* the bit as opposed to downward on the table. If I use a sled with a clamp, I think I can solve the problem.
Thanx!

Dave