Radial arm saw vs. table saw. Tools for cabinetry?

Page 3 of 3
I have blades marked for table/miter saw so apparently there is a difference. I've always used the same blades for RAS. What is the difference? I don't recall any advertised specifically for RAS. Dave
Mike said: Use a blade that is correct for a radial arm saw.
mike
Dave W asks:

The table saw can use a blade with as aggressive a tooth angle as 22 degrees. Because of its climb cutting tendencies, an RAS should have a neutral or minus 5 degree or so angle.
Charlie Self "Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind." George Orwell

degrees. Because of its climb cutting tendencies, an RAS should have a neutral or minus 5 degree or so angle.
Charlie,
The original Forrest WW1 blade with the TCP (triple chip profile) is a superb blade on the RAS, a true universal blade. It has a 5 deg positive angle and works well for ripping, even through 8/4 material. FWIW, this blade is only available directly from Forrest as a special order. The current WW1 blade you see advertised in an ATB profile and not good on the RAS unless you only do cross cutting.
--
Rumpty

Just got a magazine on woodworking (and drooling at all the tools). One thing that is consistent every place I look is that RAS are not that popular and all How-To's always show table saws.
Looks like my first purchase probably needs to be some sharpening stones to work on my father's chisels and old hand planer (I know he always used files or grinder to sharpen them, so NOT in best of shape).
Maybe with upcoming tax refund (hope-a-hope-a-hope-a-hope-a-hope) I might look at a table saw. Definately need to do something about how to hook my shop vac to RAS as one of things I dread using due to dust (garage is for other things other than wood working).
-Clayton

Dooler notes:

There are problems with radial arm saws that do not exist with table saws, mostly in the area of adjustments. There is also utility that doesn't exist with table saws. I'm not sure the two counterbalance, but were I you, I'd hang onto the old Craftsman RAS.
There are fewer companies manufacturing consumer level radial arm saws today than ever: Craftsman; Delta; Ridgid. I believe that's it. All the rest (about four makers) are producing pro level saws that are very pricey.
Charlie Self "A politician is an animal which can sit on a fence and yet keep both ears to the ground." H. L. Mencken
I'm going to keep it...but still can't help but drool over the high-end table saws, like a kid in a candy store.
"When it comes to Home Depot, I am worse than a woman in a shoe store" - Clayton
----------------- My favorite commercial was a guy in the toy store walk down isle with kid. Kid keeps grabbing things off shelf and father takes them away putting them back and saying "...you can't have that...leave it alone...we got to go...". Then he stops. There on shelf is a truck (chevy? ford?) that is wrapped up like a toy. All they guy says is "....ooooooh".
-Clayton
On 29 Dec 2004 17:42:02 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

Purchase yourself a copy of the Mr. Sawdust book "How To Master The Radial Saw" and you won't have to waste your money on a worthless TS.
http://mrsawdust.com /
--
Rumpty