Radial Arm Saw not cutting well

Yep, Wards used universal motors. But I have several older fractional motors that use brushes. Some motor types in addition to universal motors use brushes, and bad brushes in one of my fractional motors (1/2hp I think) produced much the same symptom (one really messed up brush and spring contact). Burned start switch (inertial switch) contacts produce slow or no starting, but once started have no effect on power.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

I've made my point several times. All of my experience with saws and electric motors suggest the contrary.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

So what are the chances we're ever going to learn what the problem was and how you solved it?

Reply to
LRod

How about if they do if they don't cut the windings in?

Those "older" motors wouldn't be RI would they? Seems the ancient DeWalt up north has one.

Reply to
George

No, actually, you haven't made any point at all, other than to contradict what I've said, without offering anything to back it up.

That experience evidently consists only of motors and saws that draw fairly little current. Are you unaware that motors draw more current during startup than they do while running?

Reply to
Doug Miller

Don't know what you are saying. If the contacts are poor the start winding isn't energized, so it doesn't start (without help), but once the motor starts turning the winding is not energized if the centrifugal mechanism is working.

I assume they are RI motors.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Indeed you are right. For example, I have no experience with a 3 phase 25 hp electric motors. But then, the subject was a saw that draws very little current.

Are you aware, Doug, that I don't really care what you have further to say?

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

And, apparently, no experience with even something as simple as a 115V single-phase motor that draws, say, twelve or thirteen amps.

In other words, you finally figured out I'm right.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Wrong again, I wasn't going to say it but you just can't stop your self, so here is what I figured out: you are an ass! Good-bye.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

There you go again, George: wrong but won't admit it. If something I said is not correct... point out the error. But you can't. All you can do is call names. How very mature of you.

Reply to
Doug Miller