Radial Arm Saw

I am looking at purchasing a S/H radial arm saw; it's a Sears (Craftsman) 10". I have seen on some of the posts that Craftsman is often referred to as Crapsman?!, I am a relative newbie, and would love some advice on the purchase. I will be looking at the machine today, the ex-wife is asking $200 AUS. . . . . BTW - I am aware about the product recall on these saws.
Ash
I got mine from my dad when he passed. Have installed the upgrades I got for free from Emerson. The tool works great, after I set it up right. Don't know how my dad was able to use it for so long with out it being calibrated but he did. It is my tool of choice for dado's.
Ashley wrote:

hey mapdude; do you have a email/site for emerson

http://www.radialarmsawrecall.com/index2.htm
fsteddie wrote:

They aren't the best RAS to own, they are hard to adjust etc. Your money would be better spent on one of the old DeWalts.
Suggest you purchase a copy of the book "How To Master the Radial Saw" available from http://mrsawdust.com/ before you make your purchase. Regardless of make it will teach you how to safely use your RAS.
--
Rumpty

I bought a 10" RAS from a neighbor about 15 years ago and when attempting to correct heel problem found a mechanical piece missing FROM THE FACTORY as he bought it new!
>They aren't the best RAS to own, they are hard to adjust etc. Your money

Some of them are CRAP some are fair saws. I have one from the mid 70's that is a fair saw, better then the new Delta's, a lot worse then the new Original Saw company units. I find it to be the most useful saw in my shop, they can do things that TS only dream of doing, and are easy to use, ONCE YOU LEARN to use them. They can take your hand off quicker then a jointer and jam up faster then a two year old can stick a fork in a light socket. I find I use my TS a lot more then the RAS because of ease of set up, but the RAS is still the saw for all types of cuts, crosscutting, ripping, dados, and more. Learn how to use it and you will enjoy it to no end.

I have one I bought in the mid '60s and it still performs well. They more recent versions are more deserving of the Crapsman logo.
Boden