Questions about that new Craftsman machine seen on TV...

Hello all,

I hope, I'm not off topic, but has anyone seen that machine (not sure what to call it) that craftsman has been advertising on television that will carve designs for you from a computer? If so, does anyone have any experience with one and would you be able to tell me if you can make your own designs for it and what kind of image format it uses? How long do the bits last? What are its drawbacks versus its advantages and that sort of thing? I'm asking because I'm still a beginner/novice. So, I wanted to get some opinions, before I spent the money.

Reply to
mrmjr

I haven't used the machine but the Sears "CompuCarve" is actually the "CarveWright Woodworking System". Many of your questions are answered at the following web site:

Nova

Thank you very much, Nova. I believe you have saved me a lot of hassle. Now I should be able to approach this with a little sense.

Reply to
mrmjr

I have seen the machine drop $300 since being available to order. They may tell you something right there. It's now advertised for $1699.

Reply to
Leon

"Leon" wrote in news:8zath.36792$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr21.news.prodigy.net:

That may just be Sears being Sears. If you're going to show something as a $1999 value, at least it has to be offered somewhere at that price, for some perceived period of time.

The machine, while interesting, offers me nothing of value. But that's just me.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

My first sales catalog had it for $1999 .

Reply to
Leon

I ran into a friend of mine last evening that got one as a belated Christmas present. He lives in the next county over and he said that it was a pretty good machine...when it worked. He didn't have time to elaborate really, but did indicate he had some problems with it. Only I don't know if that is because he like me is a novice at woodworking or if its because he's not quite what you would consider computer literate. Hmmm... I suppose this with the drop in price could indicate a real problem. I think I will wait before I buy one now. Thanks everyone.

Reply to
mrmjr