Question on routers and router tables

Page 4 of 5
Steve Turner wrote:

The mechanics of a bicycle brake is what I had in mind when think of it. It doesn't take that much pressure to stop it and there is surprisingly little torque on a (free) spinning blade. (don't ask how I know) :-)
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

Heh - I was just imagining something like that trying to get a grip on my old wobble dado blade... 8-)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Morris Dovey wrote:

...or my 10" sanding disk. ;-)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Morris Dovey wrote:

I have one of those. There would be exceptions, certainly. :-)
--

-MIKE-

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 15:33:02 -0500, -MIKE- wrote:

Seems like a bike disc brake is exactly what you need - as long as it has the reach to get over the teeth.
Does anybody run a wobble blade or dado in a RAS anyway? I know I don't but then over here in the UK we're not allowed to have dado blades anyway, even on table saws, because they are too big and scary.
Apparently.
Dado on a RAS is about the only reason I would keep one around. Great for quick repetative cross cut dados for shelves, etc. Don't have one right now and have an emotional dislike to the damn things and I am reminded about it every time I look at the slightly pointier pointing finger on my left hand. It was done with a regular cross cut blade at the end of a very long day of cutting the same part over and over and over... ouch.

PCPaul wrote:

Sure. Also a moulding head, a sanding disk, and a drill chuck - but not all at the same time. :)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 16:17:21 -0500, Morris Dovey wrote:

Reminds me of the lathe I learned on - an old Coronet Major - with a table saw mounted to the other side of the main axle - where a bowl turning head would go.
You had to think about your elbows, especially if you ran it with the guard removed and the fence tucked out of the way...
<http://homepage.ntlworld.com/g.e.malthouse/cmajor01.htm

I don't have a radial arm saw presently. But have had several over the years. Besides their obvious advantage for cutoff work, I used them extensively for dados cuts. I cut thousands of them. I have had projects where I have cut hundreds of dados.
Now I can cut a nice dado with a guide and a router. The difference? The radial arm saw is so much quicker. So for production, it is great for dados.
"PCPaul" wrote:

Don't have a RAS.
Was given a wobble dado.
Used it once in a table saw, threw it in the trash.
Damn thing scared me to death and cut a lousy dado which may have been my fault.
Lew

I very well could be mistaken, but I thought the European "prohibition" on dado blades was due to a short "spin-down" time requirement that was difficult or impossible for a high-inertia dado blade to meet.
If I'm wrong, it wouldn't hurt my feelings to be corrected, but if my understanding is correct, perhaps some sort of brake could shorten the coasting time enough to bring dado blades within the regulatory requirement.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA
On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 19:29:33 -0500, Tom Veatch wrote:

I really don't know why, and since I have a cupboardful of routers it hasn't really been an issue - but I can see how for lots of jobs a RAS with a dado could be a very quick solution.
PCPaul wrote:

FWIW, wobble and regular dado blades work fine on mine.

I ran a wobble dado blade on my radial arm saw - Once! :-)
I ran one for years. They are a bit crazy to run.
I found it a bit small in diameter - I thin mine was 5 or 6".
I now have a wonderful set of stackable ones that do all sorts of sizes. I was doing a job and the job bought me a new blade set.
Martin
Lowell Holmes wrote:

Steve Turner wrote:

Craftsman radial arm saw heads have been recalled. Some heads can be retrofitted with an effective blade shield others can't. Those that can't be fixed can get a $100 REFUND in leiu of repair. You have to send the motor in for disposal.
Look up the recall on either the SEARS.COM web site or do a google search.
Dave Nagel BTDTGTR
David G. Nagel wrote:

Already installed; thanks.
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
David G. Nagel wrote:

Been done, Dave. Thanks, though.
But, they didn't send a brake with the recall. :-)
--

-MIKE-

You're only talking about a few seconds which was <4 or that's what it was for my stolen Makita 3hp router. If I was using it freehand, the centrifugal force was reminder enough not to put it down and if was in the router table I made for it, then the noise of the machine running was notice not to touch anything associated with the router for a few seconds.
Sure, safety features are all and good, but there comes a point where there's diminishing returns. The cordless DeWalt drill I bought recently has a brake and it's an irritation as far as I'm concerned. The sudden "jerk" to a stop makes the drill jump and not what I'd call conducive to good drilling practice.
Upscale wrote:

Certainly, it's a matter of opinion. I don't care about the safety feature of the brake. I would love the feature as a time/frustration saver alone. In the case of my router, it's more like several seconds and a lot longer on my table saw.

I *really* miss the brake on my former cordless drill. The "jerk" never bothered me, nor effected my accuracy.
To each, his own.
--

-MIKE-