Question Is a deck project woodworking?

This is a follow-up to a post on using Kreg Jig for deck assembly. I decided to post pictures, and ask the question about woodworking. Most of my "woodworking" seems to be projects like this rather than furniture. I would love to read your comments. Do I need to put caps on these posts before winter sets in? Scott

shows the 2*4 attached to the post before I attached the spindle assembly on the top deck. I cut the bottom posts short (I think that was the problem) for the bottom stairs. I cut them both 37 inches up from the tread that they were standing on. The problem was that one post was near the front of a tread, and one was at the back of the tread. As a result I needed to cut the top spindles two inches longer then the bottom spindles in order to make it look right. Each spindle was slightly longer than the one next to it.

picture shows the cap on top of the 2*4. It is 2.5 inches wide and is ripped from a 5.5 inch wide deck board.

shot shoeing the 2*4 attached to the post.

Reply to
vmtw

Nice work. Thanks for the inspiration. As to putting caps on before winter, I am not qualified to answer. I live in Houston. We don't have a winter worth worrying about.

Bob Houston - the only place in the world with two great woodworking stores, great woodworking weather 10 months of the year, and pure hell the other 2 months. "Our wood is guaranteed to have 2% more moisture content than yours".

Reply to
Bob Davis
1) I'd get caps on before it starts raining hard. End grain really soaks up the water and you want to keep the inside dry and rot-free.

2) Unless you're building the deck out of Trex, I'd say it's woodworking.

Reply to
Hitch