Question for Panasonic drill owners

Per my request, I recieved a 15.6 Panasonic drill for Christmas. I really do love the drill so far - they dont get much nicer than this. But here's my question - instead of a regular, smooth flowing, chuck loosen/adjustment like most chucks, this one has a sort of 'ratcheting' effect as you turn it - don't know a better way to describe it. I suppose I can get used to it, I just wanted to make sure I'm not missing something.
jim
I got a 12V Panasonic about two months ago. Does the same thing. I asked the rec and was told it's normal. Drill works great, bit have never slipped, however the ratching does slow you down when changing bits.
Bill Leonhardt

My now 11 year old Panasonic does that. Makita now uses a similar feature. That is normal.
Very good - thank you gentlemen.

really
my
feature.
On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 21:37:01 GMT, "Leon"

Yup, What Leon said. And Congrats to you , you've got a great drill. One of my co-workers has that model and it's held up well and been a pleasure to use. Now, because he who dies with the most toys (ummmm... tools) wins... you might want to start looking at the Panasonic Impact driver with the same 15.6 battery. I have the Makita 14.4 model, came with a free drill. If you drive a lot of screws (especially large screws) you will love it.
Lenny

The Makita drills I have tried in the store are not quite the same as the Panasonic drills. The Makita chucks only click when they get very close to full tightness. The Paansonic chucks click every time the chuck is adjusted which is very annoying.
I like the Panasonic, but I like the Makita LXT even better. I missed the $500 deal at Home Depot before Christmas. Home Depot's web site said 12/25/05 was the last day for the sale. On Christmas day, the price still showed as $503.20, but when put in the cart the price was $629.00. I'll have to wait and see if Home Depot has a 20% power tools sale this winter,
Brian Elfert
writes:

Yeah the Panasonic clicks all the time but does only have to be turned 2 or 3 revolutions to go from full open to closed.
Brian Elfert wrote:

Let me get this straight. Are we really deciding on which drill to buy based on whether the chuck clicks or not? Sheesh.
I thought I was being smart buying the 15.6V Panasonic because it drives as many (or maybe more) screws on a charge than most 18V drills and it weighs a whole lot less. But I guess I just don't get IT. :)
Have a Happy New Year y'all, (raising a flute of Korbel.)
-jj
--
Remove BOB to email me

As does Dewalt.

Happy new year CW.

Happy new year for you, Leon.

Jim Bailey wrote:

That's the clutch at work. If you want less ratchet, simply turn it to a higher numeric value. For direct drive, turn it all the way up.     mahalo,     jo4hn Oh yeah and I love the Panasonic.

do
it,
It's actually a very beneficial feature :) Your drill/driver bits are far less likely to slip with these chucks as you can tighten them easier. One of my Pro Series Ryobi drills has this feature and its great. I don't think its any slower than a non-ratcheting chuck though?
-- Regards,
Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com ------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 6 Reviews: - Ryobi One+ Cordless Tool System - Festool CT Mini Dust Extractor - Kreg K3 Pocket Hole Joinery System - Incra Miter Express - Book: Scroll Saw Fundamentals - Ryobi BT3100K Table Saw System ------------------------------------------------------------
Congrats, my friend, you are now the owner of the best damn drill known to mankind. And yes, the ratcheting is normal. Mine lives with a quick change collet in it, so I don't open and close the chuck very often.
I have had mine for about 6mos and 6000 holes -- if I lose it today, I'll buy a new one tomorrow. The drill is superb.
Matthew

do
it,

Only ratchet I get is a click or so when it is tightened. You don't have the clutch adjusted loose do you? I really like the one hand chuck.
No matter what brand of drill you have you may also want to consider getting one of the quick change chucks if you are constantly changing back and forth between a driver and drill bit. Takes less than a second to swap them.

Odd. I've got the 12 volt and the only ratcheting noise I get is changing the torque. Chuck opens and closes silently.

Second that. Also the 12-volt. Not entirely clear whether all here are talking about closing the chuck versus the clicking of the clutch action (which I can get on the 12 volt with one-handed closing of the chuck and low enough a torque setting)