Question about stairs

We have some stairs in our 50-year-old house that are currently carpeted. SWMBO isn't crazy about the carpet (exact words: "I hate this carpet"). She wants to remove the carpet and put down a runner. The problem, or course, is that the treads and risers are pine. The treads overhang the risers by about 2". Personally, I'd just like to replace the treads with a hardwood (oak perhaps), but that won't be so easy. The treads fit into the sides of the staircase, so I can't just yank them out. From that I can tell, to get them, I'd have to deconstruct the staircase. SWMBO wants to paint the treads/risers and put the runner on top of that.
If anyone has suggestions, please let me know.
todd
todd wrote:

Typical woman...lets paint the wood...arghhhhh! sacrilage.
Have you thought about putting panelling with 1/8" oak over the treads and risers? bit of work like but its the nearest your going to get to it looking good.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

I have considered that. The difficult part would seem to be getting the rounded stair nose covered.
todd
todd wrote:

I've seen some stairs where the bullnose is a seperate piece and are nailed to the tread.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

I wonder how the Treads are *fit into* the sides of the staircase....? Standard stair work would have the Skirt Board go on first and then the Treads butt into it. If your staircase is different that could make this job more difficult. Maybe you could comment on this point.
In the meantime, I can only think of one idea at the moment- Come out from the side of the staircase about 2 or 21/2", cut the Tread and remove the entire Tread leaving only the 2" section on the side. Use a chisel to cut off the old nosing/overhang and a rasp to clean it up. Build a *box* over the old piece of tread. Lay down new Treads butting up against the *box*. The *box* would be 2" away from the wall/side so it will not interfere with ppl using the stairs.

You are forgetting the entire rationale of the acronym "SWMBO" For the sake of domestic harmony, paint the treads/risers and put the runner on top of that. :)
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
You could make or buy something like this and have the carpet runner between the two of them. http://www.carolinastair.com/detail.asp?IDR2 Joe

todd wrote:

if this is a good idea or not.
Let's assume you can remove the treads. Try cutting a new tread with a hardwood, but make it a little wider than the original tread. And keep the front a little rough, because you'll need to sand or rout the edge.
Now, cut it _diagonally_ from front to back, like this:
This way, you can put the R side into the slot first, and slide the L side into the other slot. You'll have to trim or sand the front to make it flush.
This would depend on how much suport under the tread you have. You may also want to consider a spline in that diagonal for strength.
But I'd also suggest hearing from other woodworkers about this. It's a clever idea, I admit, but whether it's good for something as load-intensive as a stair, that's another.
<snip>

SWMBO wants to paint the

I'm with Larry... You're missing the point here.. She hate's the carpet, she wants to paint them... I'm guessing that she probably has a little bigger picture in mind than just the stairs and natural oak may not fit in with the color scheme merrily dancing in her pretty little head... :-)
Pull the carpet, clean em up, paint, carpet... She's happy... then YOU'RE happy.
Good luck!!!