Question about dust collection

I've got a small basement shop, roughly 18' X 12' and it's paneled off from the rest of the basement with a closing door. I have a 10" contractor table saw, a 4" jointer, a 1/2" drill press, a 10" disk sander, the proverbial router, SCMS, and whatever. Sometimes when I'm cutting the sawdust in the air is just too much, so I've decided that I'll look into; (a) a small sawdust collector, or (b), a ceiling hung filtration system. So what I'm wondering is whether the typical ceiling hung filtration system would suffice... and whether my Rigid wet/dry 9 gallon/3.5 HP vac can be rigged for sawdust collection considering the open end of my table saw?

Or would a dust collector like the Jet DC 1100 or a Delta AP400 be a better overall choice?

Thanks in advance... Mike

Reply to
drgrafix

You really need both the dust collector and air filtration system. The shop vac simply wont work for your larger machines and the ceiling hung units are not designed to catch dust from machines specifically.

If you can only buy one, get the Jet DC 1100 for your larger machines and use your shop vac to hook up to your hand held power tools.

If you can also get a ceiling hung air filtration unit, that will take care of all the fine dust in the airborne air (which I do recommend you take care of as well) but its always best to catch as much dust at the source first.

-- Regards,

Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews

70 woodworking product reviews online!

------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 6 Reviews:

- Jorgensen Cabinet Master Clamps

- Sherwood Lathe Copy Attachment

- Ryobi Right Angle Drill

- Porter Cable COIL250 Coil Nailer

- Ryobi 18v Cordless Jigsaw

- Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide to Furniture & Cabinet Construction

Woodcrafter

Everyone will disagree with me, but if it is a choice between a DC and an air filter, I would go with the airfilter.

A DC will do little for your tablesaw, miter saw, disk sander, or drill press; and a shop vac will work for the router and jointer (though not as well as a DC). But neither will substitute for an airfilter.

I think a DC only comes into its own on a planer; but you don't have one.

Reply to
toller

Read

I doubt the ceiling unit would be a good place to start...

JeffB

Reply to
JeffB

use the bill penz site

buy a 1.5hp dc or better, with 0.5 micron canister

build a filter system from a furnace blower and some 3m filtrete filters (with a "rough" fiberglass filter ahead of them to get out the big stuff)

plumb 6" lines to all machines, or move the DC around using 6" flex to each machine when used

use 6"

use 6"

ok, don't use 6" -- make a 10" unit and use 10" ;-)

good luck

Reply to
nospam_coloradotrout

snipped-for-privacy@hotpotato.com wrote in news:dl2kt09sbbtc52lid0nuua3etagcienvje@

4ax.com:

A dust collector is the place to start. Jet, Delta, Penn State, etc. You want to catch most of the dust before it gets into the air where you're breathing it. Get bags or canister units that filter the smallest possible particle size (at least 5um or less). You will be amazed at how much cleaner the air and the basement will be.

A shop vac won't be very effective for most applications ... it just doesn't have enough airflow.

A ceiling mounted unit is helpful as a supplement to primary dust collection.

Reply to
Nate Perkins

Another excellent resource in addition to the Penz website is a book I bought called "Controlling Dust in the Workshop" by Rick Peters.

Dick Snyder

Reply to
Dick Snyder

In a shop your size it's tough to beat an outfit like the JET two-stage DC at

.

In spite of the precipitator advocates, it's much more efficient to capture at the source. Use standard HVAC pickups, available in greater variety to suit your circumstances, and move the hose to the appropriate tool. You'll be putting the entire volume of your shop through the collector every four minutes anyway.

Easier to keep the floor clean, too.

Reply to
George

Jeff...

I read thru Bill's page and also the guy that sells the clear cyclones. That setup seems a bit much for my useage and shop size. Its too bad they don't make a "junior" cyclone anymore.

I do have one question about all these larger dual bag systems... if I had one and just ran it with an open gate, would it filter the air when there are visible small particles of dust flying about? Or is that specifically where the ceiling hung air filter has its strength?

Needless to say, I'd like to have both but with my budget, its probably got to be one or the other. There are some dual-bag units on eBay (new) for just under a hundred bucks. The pros on them is that they are powerful, the cons... they take up a bit of precious floor space. The overhead filters don't take up the floor space, but the consensus here seems to be that it might be more important to run a 4" hose to the table saw.

Still th>Read

I doubt the ceiling

Reply to
drgrafix

The correct answer is (c) both of the above.

No. The more of it you can collect at the source, the better. It's easier to prevent the dust from getting into the air in the first place, than to try to remove it. And of course your jointer doesn't produce much airborne dust, just a big pile of chips which never get into the air where a filter could catch them. The same is true of the drill press, and to a lesser degree the saws as well.

Doubtful. It probably doesn't move enough air to do much good.

Definitely. If your budget allows it, get *both* a dust collector and a filtration system of some sort. Otherwise, the dust collector should be the first priority.

Doug Miller

Let me guess: you own an air filter, and not a dust collector. Right?

Absolute nonsense. A dust collector picks up plenty from *all* of those tools, whereas a filter will pick up next to nothing from *any* of them. Granted, you may need to build or buy shrouds to confine the dust from some of these (particularly the miter saw and drill press) so that the DC can catch it more easily, but that's not exactly rocket science.

Neither does an air filter substitute for a dust collector.

Apparently you don't have one either. A dust collector, that is, since you seem to have no idea what they're capable of. A dust collector does just fine with all of the tools that the OP named.

Doug Miller

I went through this last summer with my garage shop; I was tired of vacuuming up the mess, then having to dust the washer and drier a day or so later... and then a day or so later again. What a PITA.

The first thing I did was buy a JDS air cleaner from Woodcraft that I hung from the ceiling (by myself; that's another story). With retrospect, that was a mistake. It improved things but not nearly as much as I had hoped. Hmmmmm.....

Then I did what I should have done to begin with... bought a 1.5HP dust collector (from Penn State) complete with muffler and a cyclone chunk collector. THAT cut down on the dust to the point I don't really need to run the cleaner any more (though I do... I paid for it; I'm gonna use it). I've got it tucked over in the corner of my garage next to the table saw and ran a Rube Goldberg piping system to the RAS, floor sweep, and a temporary port for use with the jointer or planer (or anything else I can think of). The table saw is attacked from both top and bottom and the dust collection is superb. Noise is so minimal that I can listen to music as I cut wood.

The shop vac still has its uses but dust collection isn't really its forte.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

You are absolutely correct. I own all of the above but if I could afford only one cleaning type tool, it'd be the dust collector. The air filter is just icing on the cake but it does nothing for piles of sawdust. The dust collector does the heavy work.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

You need a DC, at least 1-1/2 HP or higher with a metal prop. Take a look at PennState or Grizzly. An air filtration box will help clear the air, but the DC should get most of it. (You can use a box fan with a furnace filter bungeed to it until you can buy/make a better filtration box.) A good-fitting dust mask is a must for protecting your lungs.

Reply to
Phisherman

Yep! I disagree! :)

I think the purchasing order should be:

1) High quality dust mask or respirator - protect those lungs. 2) Decent dust collector - keep wearing the respirator 3) Air filter - keep wearing the respirator
Reply to
patrick conroy

On Tue 04 Jan 2005 08:17:37a, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in news:vGxCd.3048$ snipped-for-privacy@fe03.lga:

Yeah. I'm going to have an air cleaner one day but the major difference between it and a DC (for me) is, the air cleaner works on the dust AFTER it's been past your face, and the DC grabs it before. If you use an air cleaner for your primary, you really really need that mask.

Toller, I can't believe you think a DC does "little" for a table saw. On my saw, it's more like a LOT. Just a smidgeon of dust on top that doesn't get through the insert.

Although I gotta say: my shop vac does better with the SCMS and the bandsaw. Both of those have small openings for the hose. When I put an adapter on the DC, it doesn't suck as much as the shop vac does. So until I cut that four inch hole in the back of the bandsaw, it's the DC for the tablesaw and the shopvac for the others.

Reply to
Dan

I just got a dust collector from the swmbo for xmas. I still can't get myself to cut a hole in my 1950 unisaw for dust collection. I'm sure that next time I have to empty it (hassle) I will move towards cutting the hole. SH

Reply to
Slowhand

You can put a plywood door, complete with hose, where the cleanout is.

"Slowhand" myself to cut a hole in my 1950 unisaw for dust collection. I'm sure that

Reply to
George

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 08:58:59 -0800, "Slowhand" > my

take the door off and put it in a safe place. make a replacement with an elbow and a fitting in it...

Reply to
bridger

Anyone here have pros/cons on the JET 708630 DC-TS650 Two Stage 1 HP Dust Collector?

After looking at numerous dust collectors over at my local Woodcrafters store, the guy there showed me one of these that he special ordered for a customer who also has a small shop. The benefits are obviously that you don't have the huge _extra_ footprint of one of the one-stage/two bag units. On the safety side, everything goes to the barrel first where sawdust, chips, maybe a loose nail... they supposedly fall into the barrel and only the dust goes through the impeller and into the filter. Is the filter perfect? Probably not, but there might be other filters that could easily be adapted.

For someone who basically runs one tool at a time, I thought this was an interesting approach, albeit not a cheap one. It actually costs more than the Jet 1½ HP dual-bag setup. Amazon sells it for $349.99 and offers free shipping, and is running a special right now for another $25 off if you buy before Feb 14th. Woodcraft sells it for $329.99 so it's basically a wash assuming Woodcraft doesn't charge you for shipping.

Another alternative would be to buy something like the Jet 650SB and a two-stage conveter lid. You run the intake into the lid on top of a

32 gallon barrel and then run a second hose to the impeller motor. That setup would cost you around $200.00.
Reply to
captmikey