Question about a woodworking show

Page 3 of 3

<snip>

Not on my piles, you don't!
--
Best regards
Han
email address is invalid

Let us know if you liked the show. My last WW show attended was in Cleveland Ohio in 1999 and I was very dissapointed. Took a vacation day, paid $8 to park, and came home empty-handed.
Along the same lines, the Canadian Home Workshop Show will be held this coming Februrary 28, 29 and March 1.
www.canadianhomeworkshop.com/show
I'll be there on the Saturday.

Mistake on the date. It's Feb 27, 28, March 1.
Larry C wrote:

I think the Internet killed the "deal" aspect of consumer-oriented shows long time ago. My regular visits were woodworking, flying, r/c airplane, electronics, and recorded music shows. I used to attend such shows and watched the "show special" morph into an everyday online price.
To me, the only reason to attend a consumer show is to fondle an item I can't see locally or attend an instructional clinic. If I'm going specifically to see an item, I'll contact the manufacturer in advance to make sure I can see the item. Different woodworking shows offer widely varying clinic opportunities. Some worthwhile clinics may cost significant extra money compared to the entry fee. Check in advance...
The full scale airplane shows still do OK, but they're run by massive organizations, like AOPA and EAA, and it's pretty hard to sit in the cockpit of a new airplane over the 'net. <G>

Possibly, but I'm willing to wager that the current economic climate has tempered prices considerably and that there's going to be some deals to be had. It can't hurt to offer a lower price for something. All they can say is "no". And if you're in the position to want to buy more than one item or it's some big iron you want, then offering to buy several pieces almost always means you can bargain to a lower price.
Upscale wrote:

A good point. It's worth a shot.
Also note that the current economy has some vendors canceling show appearances altogether.
Being involved in marketing (in my real job) the flip side of a down economy is many companies not having the cash to pay for space to attend. Shows are one of the first mktg expenses to get cut (after the people).

So I went to the woodworkers show yesterday. There were certainly a lot of router bits there.
The good news is I purchased 8 of the 3D Square setups for $85. They are $16 a piece on Amazon. http://jevonstoolco.com/index.html
I also purchased the "Show Only" Woodworker II blade and dampener for $120. http://www.3dsawbladesalesfl.com/product_info.php/products_id/64?osCsid 872f22f7087623c218b334be364d79
Both items I wanted and they happened to have good deals at the show. I did check the web while at the show to see if the prices were really "good".
It was basically what many of the posters here had said it would be. It had more of a feel of a flea market than a show. Peachtree Woodworking took up a large percentage of the floor space. The stuff they had was what they have in their catalogue except it was displayed in bins. As I mentioned in the first line, there were a lot of router bits to be had. Kreg had a sizable display. The only "iron" was Ridgid have a few items and Woodcraft had a few items as well. I did see an informative talk about finishing. On a scale of 1 to 10 I would give it a 6. There may have been more deals there but I wasn't looking - didn't have the money, for anything else.
Larry C

You won't regret that. Good stuff, those.
Thanks for the report. Sounds like they are limping along about the same as has been for a few years.
One question, did you "check the web" from a web enabled phone?

Checked the web from my blackberry