PVC Pipe and a DC System

Reply to
Eddie Munster

Howdy!

I was gonna say "Don't feed the troll", but I'm waaay too late for that.

yours, Michael

Reply to
Michael Houghton

Reply to
igor

Two inch? Is that a typo? Why would you use a two inch pipe section in a 4 inch system? Doesn't that restrict it severely?

Bob

Reply to
Bob

One other thing , the build up of static electricity in the DC system ducting is primarilly due ductal friction. Although to some this is a disadvantage ,but in the depths of winter[when the temps fall to below 65 degrees in the south] , the ductional friction produces heat .

If correctly managed this can heat the operating space so that no additional shop heating is required . this has to carefully managed bearing in mind that the lighter woods such as pine and goncola alves are not the heat producers that lignum viti or perhaps cuban mahogany are ....mjh

Reply to
Mike Hide

So this is what the death of a thread looks like.

Lou

Reply to
loutent

I think he meant two inch long, not diameter.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

His poor wife...

Reply to
Greg

Ha ha, good one! Can you cite just ONE "documented incident"

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman

And no one used the N*zi word.

Reply to
patrick conroy

I'll sure be surprised if he can.

Reply to
Eddie Munster

I have to agree that it is NOT an issue. I've read the research and my conclusion is that in a small shop environment a grounding wire is not needed. I've been running my PVC based DC system for 4 years and the only thing I've encountered is a mild shock. One of the byproducts however is that the charge on the PVC attracts the airborne dust particles. Kinda like the those ion air purifiers. I vac the piping once in a while.+

Reply to
WhoKnows

Yeah, they are a pain to connect to anything.

I cut 8 slits in the S&D PVC pipe and then clamped it to the metal blast gate using a flat stainless hose clamp. It holds it very rigidly because the metal gate is a solid casting. I don't know how well this would work with the plastic gates.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

I'm doing it. If I can't get the plastic gate to tighten down, I wrap a piece of duct tape around it so the PVC has more to bite on. I also slit the PVC and use hose clamps. It ends up working pretty good.

-Later

Reply to
WhoKnows

Bob:

Do you have a photo of the underside of your seperator lid you made? My system is 5" pipe which requires building my own lid.

Alan

Reply to
A Womack

If he's talking about an explosion hazard, nobody has documented a case. If he's talking about an electric shock, that also can be a hazard--imagine brushing the collector plumpbing and having your hand involuntarily jerk into the rotating blade on your radial-arm saw for example--and enough static buildup to cause a shock is very likely under dry conditions.

Reply to
J. Clarke