Putting off buying a router raiser for the table? A gloat!

I'm a woodworker whose techniques rely on the router table, but as a retiree on a strict budget, $2-300 for a raiser seemed out of my price range.
This past weekend, www.woodcraft.com sent me an e-mail advertising the Freud FT1700 variable speed 2-1/4HP router for $99 -- while supplies last. It didn't take much research to realize what a find that was. The router has a built-in mechanism for above-table height adjustment that, at least on two tries, works flawlessly and easily. It comes with a single wrench -- and a shaft lock -- and a fixed base and that's about it. Just basic stuff, but I've permanently removed my PC from the table to plunge use and intend to permanently keep the Freud in the table -- I've even removed the handles to make a little more room underneath.
I'm smiling from ear to ear after using it and I'm in love. (I have absolutely no connection whatsoever with the vendor, just a really happy customer).
Norm
I bought this same router a few months ago in a kit w\fixed and plunge base and included aluminum table insert plate. Some others have complained about this router's plunge base being not so smooth. I have only used it with the fixed base so far. I like the soft start. I hate the switch. I have to re-learn how to shut it off every time and that can be a bit dangerous when you are done and trying to set it down and have to fumble to shut it off. Once I remember how to shut it off it is easy but not very intuitive. Seems like it will likely break easy also which with my normal fast and rough handling means it will break for sure.
I will likely mount this in a table permanently and add an on-off switch on the table. Yes it's only 2 1/4 hp not 3 but it has variable speed and I have a shaper for the bigger stuff and with the included plate and above table adjust I still think I got a great deal.

Grrr. I'm on just about every damn mail list except this one. I just finished my new router table for my PC, but could use a dedicated router for the table. this would have been perfect, 'cept my local store is sold out.
Larry
SonomaProducts.com wrote:

TD - It's still listed on Woodcraft's website, or did they distribute all available stock to their retail outlets? Like Sonoma, I picked up the same kit, have only used it in the fixed base, and except for the fact that the switch is a little different, it otherwise performs very well. Should be great in a table, the shaft lock and one handed wrench bit change is very slick, soft start is nice, and is relatively quiet.

Shipping is free and they were available online 3 hours ago - my wife even said OK to buying ;-)
John

They are still available on line at 10:30 PM and I haven't told wife yet LOL CC
Got mine. Never thought about ordering this online.
CC wrote:

I was lucky enough to find a brand new one on Craigslist. The guy bought it new with expectations to use but he discovered the wife cheating on him, filed for divorce and sold much of his toys. Yes, I had to hear the ENTIRE wife story when I picked it up but for $75 , it was worth it.
Well now that I know the guy was a fellow woodworker I feel really bad about our affair.

SBH wrote:

Did you get the wife's number?

Better, I know which house she lives in because it's a few doors from his. He had to move out of the house they shared and bought one a few doors down. I hope he doesn't see me going in.