Push, pull, click click

Page 1 of 3
I finished the vanity pull out I was making and installed it late yesterday. It was a tight fit so my job for today was to take it out and skinny stuff down a skosh.
Now, I am using full extension, ball bearing slides on it - HD best & greatest - and they have a little lever that has to be pushed down to release the drawer member from the frame member. The pull out is open to the room on one side, close to a wall on the other; easy to release the lever on the open side, just push the lever down. It is moderately more difficult on the wall side as I can't see it but room enough to get my arm down and feel it. Problem is, the damn thing wouldn't release...
Push lever down, try to pullout the pullout, tight as a drum, curse. The foregoing was repeated numerous times. In between times, I was trying to think of another way to get at it...cut through both sides of wall and remove baseboard?...crowbar?
Finally, cursing silently, I pulled the lever up instead of pushing down. It released.
Push down on one side, pull up on the other. Does that make sense? To the manufacturer, I guess because he only had to make one configuration instead of two, the second being a mirror image of the first. It doesn't please me :(
On 2/12/2016 9:14 AM, dadiOH wrote:

LOL ... the remodel business in fifteen words or less:
If left doesn't get you hot water, try right; if up doesn't work, try down.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 2/12/2016 10:14 AM, dadiOH wrote:

--
Jeff

On 2/12/2016 10:14 AM, dadiOH wrote:

Yes, I understand it. Why? The older I get the more I realize not many things make sense so it is sensible to try the opposite. Make sense now?

side is a mirror of the other. If you take the latch off once side and flip it over, it fits on the other side but it's upside down, hence operates backwards.

Actually, not a mirror image. If it were a mirror image both sides would work the same. As it is both are identical, but you turn one upside down to mount it properly. Which one is upside down is anybody's guess. :-)

Right. Identical parts, flipped rather than mirrored, is cheaper. ;-)
On 2/13/2016 10:56 AM, krw wrote:

Well in all fairness mostly mirrored except for that little latch we are talking about. LOL
On 2/12/16 9:14 AM, dadiOH wrote:

As I'm in the middle of a drawer slide research adventure myself, I can answer that. One big selling pint I've been seeing on all these slides is "non left-right" or universal fit. All the mounting holes are are in the center of the slide so they can swap to left or right.
That's what you're dealing with on the lever release. Mounted on the right, you push down; on the left, you push up. Or is it vise-versa? :-)
--

-MIKE-

On 2/12/2016 11:05 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

And there was a brand that I was using a few years back that used a tab that you pushed in. That cuts down on the confusion but I find it much easier to lift the lever than to push in on the tabs.
Leon wrote:

I used a bunch of those when I did our kitchen cabinets. I agree, the lever is much easier. Now that I know one pulls up, the other side pushes down :)
On 2/12/2016 1:41 PM, dadiOH wrote:

I have installed so many of the full extension slides with the levers I don't think I even have to think about which side lever goes up and which side down. I just naturally do it correctly and yet sitting here I could not tell which. Muscle memory I guess. LOL
But thinking I believe down on the right up on the left... Yup! Just checked that out. At least that is so with the brand I have been using the past 4~5 years.
On 2/12/2016 9:14 AM, dadiOH wrote:

Yeah! LOL Those slide normally come as "non handed" meaning neither slide has to be used on a particular side. SOOOOO as you noticed if you push up or down on one side you do the opposite on the other because one of the slides is upside down.
The beauty is that yo do not have to keep up with which one goes on which side when you are mounting dozens at a time.
Glad you did not crow bar it open. LOL

That was news to me, I had a pair sitting on the floor here, ones that I opened the package of so I knew them to not be tampered with.
Checked what you said, and you are totally correct. Thanks for the heads up and you saved me the grief.
On 2/12/16 1:37 PM, OFWW wrote:

Glad I could help! I only know because the first time it happened to me I about torn the entire summbich apart. :-)
--

-MIKE-

LOL, I well know the feeling, and could sense it as you wrote it. I was happy to find out the solution was easy, but why didn't they note in on the packaging?

They probably did somewhere in the fine print

LOL. I have done the exact same thing, cussed and swore for the better part of an hour trying to get a drawer out with that style slides.
If it had been intelligently designed, you wouldn't be able to push it the wrong way. The fact you can move the lever down on the side that should be up is the problem, because it misleads you to think you're going the right way.
John
On 2/12/2016 4:37 PM, John McCoy wrote:

The design is intelligent in the sense that it solves a much bigger problem: left and right hand drawer slides have always been a PITA to keep track of.
The "mirrored" slides are interchangeable, meaning you no longer have to worry about matching pairs of drawer slides; and if you buy an extra pair for when Murphy strikes, you now have two spares instead of one.
What you make on the grapes, you lose on the grapefruit ... ;)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

No, you kind of missed my point. The design is bad if the lever can move both ways, but only one has an effect. If the lever can only move one way, it's obvious when you're pushing the wrong way because it doesn't move. It's still symmetric, up on one side and down on the other, but it's user-friendly about it.
John