Push, pull, click click

I finished the vanity pull out I was making and installed it late yesterday. It was a tight fit so my job for today was to take it out and skinny stuff down a skosh.

Now, I am using full extension, ball bearing slides on it - HD best & greatest - and they have a little lever that has to be pushed down to release the drawer member from the frame member. The pull out is open to the room on one side, close to a wall on the other; easy to release the lever on the open side, just push the lever down. It is moderately more difficult on the wall side as I can't see it but room enough to get my arm down and feel it. Problem is, the damn thing wouldn't release...

Push lever down, try to pullout the pullout, tight as a drum, curse. The foregoing was repeated numerous times. In between times, I was trying to think of another way to get at it...cut through both sides of wall and remove baseboard?...crowbar?

Finally, cursing silently, I pulled the lever up instead of pushing down. It released.

Push down on one side, pull up on the other. Does that make sense? To the manufacturer, I guess because he only had to make one configuration instead of two, the second being a mirror image of the first. It doesn't please me :(

Reply to
dadiOH

LOL ... the remodel business in fifteen words or less:

If left doesn't get you hot water, try right; if up doesn't work, try down.

Reply to
Swingman

DOH...

Reply to
woodchucker

Yes, I understand it. Why? The older I get the more I realize not many things make sense so it is sensible to try the opposite. Make sense now?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I've seen this before and it does make some sense (to someone). One side is a mirror of the other. If you take the latch off once side and flip it over, it fits on the other side but it's upside down, hence operates backwards.

Reply to
krw

As I'm in the middle of a drawer slide research adventure myself, I can answer that. One big selling pint I've been seeing on all these slides is "non left-right" or universal fit. All the mounting holes are are in the center of the slide so they can swap to left or right.

That's what you're dealing with on the lever release. Mounted on the right, you push down; on the left, you push up. Or is it vise-versa? :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

Yeah! LOL Those slide normally come as "non handed" meaning neither slide has to be used on a particular side. SOOOOO as you noticed if you push up or down on one side you do the opposite on the other because one of the slides is upside down.

The beauty is that yo do not have to keep up with which one goes on which side when you are mounting dozens at a time.

Glad you did not crow bar it open. LOL

Reply to
Leon

And there was a brand that I was using a few years back that used a tab that you pushed in. That cuts down on the confusion but I find it much easier to lift the lever than to push in on the tabs.

Reply to
Leon

That was news to me, I had a pair sitting on the floor here, ones that I opened the package of so I knew them to not be tampered with.

Checked what you said, and you are totally correct. Thanks for the heads up and you saved me the grief.

Reply to
OFWW

I used a bunch of those when I did our kitchen cabinets. I agree, the lever is much easier. Now that I know one pulls up, the other side pushes down :)

Reply to
dadiOH

I have installed so many of the full extension slides with the levers I don't think I even have to think about which side lever goes up and which side down. I just naturally do it correctly and yet sitting here I could not tell which. Muscle memory I guess. LOL

But thinking I believe down on the right up on the left... Yup! Just checked that out. At least that is so with the brand I have been using the past 4~5 years.

Reply to
Leon

"dadiOH" wrote in news:n9kso9$390$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

LOL. I have done the exact same thing, cussed and swore for the better part of an hour trying to get a drawer out with that style slides.

If it had been intelligently designed, you wouldn't be able to push it the wrong way. The fact you can move the lever down on the side that should be up is the problem, because it misleads you to think you're going the right way.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

The design is intelligent in the sense that it solves a much bigger problem: left and right hand drawer slides have always been a PITA to keep track of.

The "mirrored" slides are interchangeable, meaning you no longer have to worry about matching pairs of drawer slides; and if you buy an extra pair for when Murphy strikes, you now have two spares instead of one.

What you make on the grapes, you lose on the grapefruit ... ;)

Reply to
Swingman

You just have to be intelligent enough to understand why. IMHO it is pretty darn intelligent as it speeds production to install and probably to manufacture.

If you released both sides in the same direction there would be a left and right. As it is you simply mount the slide and move on with no care as to left side or right side.

Reply to
Leon

Glad I could help! I only know because the first time it happened to me I about torn the entire summbich apart. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

LOL, I well know the feeling, and could sense it as you wrote it. I was happy to find out the solution was easy, but why didn't they note in on the packaging?

Reply to
OFWW

Yes, there is a certain beauty to the simplicity of it all, but why not note it on the wrapper for the noobies and HO's.

HomeOwners, LOL.

Reply to
OFWW

So where would they put it so someone like you and McCoy would read it? In the Turner Diaries? How would you know to pay attention to a small instru ctive note when you are busy cramming your politics up the butts of the woo dworking community?

You and yours are exactly the kind of people that deserve NO help. Founder ing around with your self righteous political spew on this >>>woodworking

Reply to
nailshooter41

Well Robert, there isn't much I can say at this point that wouldn't piss you off more. While the wood working info is more important to me here than some of the sidelines, I realize that the harm to you has already been done. And it isn't repairable from the way you are speaking.

All I can do is offer you my apologies for stepping on your toes, albeit inadvertently, as well as to the group.

It would be stupid of me to forget what info you gave me, so I won't be giving that help up. Sorry.

I also will not be walking away from the group, as even reading without replying is beneficiary to me and many others.

Reply to
OFWW

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com schrieb in im Newsbeitrag: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com...

!! SMACKDOWN !!