Purchasing Figured Maple (in Canada or US)

Hi,
Up until now I have only used unfigured woods. I am interested in purchasing some flame and quilted maple. Where do I buy it? I have seen websites www.nwtimber.com, and www.irionlumber.com and similar websites. Are those type of dealers the way to go? Are there cheaper or better ways that are realistically doable? Does the wood for the projects in the Readers Gallery of Fine WoodWorking really cost the maker so much money?
Thanks, Peter Victoria, BC, Canada
Peter:
you may want to pop over to the form at www.canadianwoodworking.com and ask over there. That forum's frequented by several active woodworkers from Victoria, Port Alberni, Qualicum, Thetis island and other places... I'm pretty sure they'll be able to aim you in the right direction.
Rob
--

http://www.robswoodworking.com

< snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message

I'd suggest getting it from someplace where you can look at the pieces before you purchase them.
Century Mills is pretty good as well. Stouffville. http://www.centurymill.com /
Oliver Lumber = Miss. Ont. http://www.oliverlumber.com /
Bass Lake Sawmill Near Orillia - No Web address
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek
On 31 Jan 2005 20:08:14 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

work with. I haven't bought maple from them but I wouldn't expect any problems based on my previous experiences.
If you haven't worked with figured woods before I recommend that you get some extra so that you can learn how to work it. Specifically planing, jointing, and finishing will be a new experience. I think you will find this is one of the reasons furniture made out of this wood is so much more expensive. Of course the beauty of the wood is the primary reason.
TWS