Psychology of a woodworker

Page 3 of 5
On 27 Oct 2004 21:19:04 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@computer.org (ktc) wrote:

Bravo, and thank you! I find it amusing sometimes that people look down their noses at tradesmen, assuming that we're all ignorant clods, when most shop work requires not only a great deal of problem-solving ability, but a quite a lot of math as well. Calculating compound angles, spring force, speeds and feed rates and dozens of other things is not for the faint of heart when the products you're making must be right not only the first time, but every time! That isn't to say that office work isn't stressful and difficult at times as well- but that sure doesn't make a craftsman stupid just because he (or she, for that matter) has some grease on his shirt.

ROFL! You mean like all those kids that go to school for business or liberal arts? Even a science degree doesn't always mean much- I have a friend who got his degree in comp. science from the University of Wisconsin Madison, and he's been selling TVs at a Best Buy for the past several years...

When I enlisted in USN in 1955, green as grass farm kid, I wanted to be a "Driver" in the Seabees, but they stuck me in Electronics Tech school. When I questioned this, I was informed that I had good math & mechanical scores on my basic tests, and these qualities were needed to be an ET. Left an E5, and I did support my family decently for 27yr. as a field tech for NCR Corp. working on large scale EDP systems. To have a "blow-off" valve for the stress from that, went back into the Naval Reserve and cross-rated to Equipment Operator in the Seabees. I loved it, had a "feel" for it and still do like heavy equipment. No college, just a long "life experience". It also gave me the opening into driving truck when I couldn't take the tech life any more.
2nd example:
In the '60's, my BIL(wife's youngest brother) left USN, did college in Phoenix on GI Bill as a business major. When he graduated, best job he could get was managing a 7-11. Ended up joining USAF(fianc was a military brat, convinced him to do it), became a C-130 navigator. Retired a few years back as a Lt. Colonel, having earned a couple more degrees under USAF programs. He now teaches part time @ Letourneau & another college in Longview, TX, and is a full time Baptist Minister.
--
Nahmie
http://www.crscientific.com/glassretort.html
Fred the Red Shirt wrote:

No, this one http://www.kleinbottle.com / pick the size you need. Joe

With mine you can make wood alcohol, with yours you can drink it...
--

FF

"Man In The Doorway"

What a load of crap. Tripe indeed. Personally I feel perfectly secure and I LOVE the beauty of classical woodworking and the classical results. What the hell is your problem??? Because, to quote my ever lovin' Mother:
"you're lookin' in a mirror"
Alex
"Man In The Doorway"

I drives a Buick.

Nah, he was an acoholic and became a real PITA so we left him.

Everyone would be my wife. Kids are on their own. Neighbors don't give a crap.

I'm in management but I do have a callus on my foot. I make it a point to walk around the plant a couple of times a day so I don't get them on my ass from the comfy chair in my office.

I've owned both. Evidently you haven't yet or you'd know the answer.

Every tool I own has been used At least once anyway.
> Why do they feel such a need to show off, when nobody really

That's how we get wood ;)

Half? Maybe even a quarter. It isn't about money. IMO, it is more about security that insecurity. If you don' thave confidence in your abilities you won't ever start a project, let alone finish one that looks far superior that the generl cheap furniture foisted off ont he public today.
Hope yo had fun, but you should keep reading about physology as yo haven't quite mastered it yet. Try night school and take a class.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

I've skipped most of this silly thread but -what the heck- it's the ability to work with our hands and by extension - tools. That ability must (?) be inborn with some kind of drive to use that ability. Look at the number of people who sail when motor powered boats would probably be cheaper and even safer. Garden when they could probably buy flowers and veggies for less money.
Josie
Man. Given the extremely small chance that this guy is a woodworker, he needs to call the suicide hotline!
Or.......maybe this is just some woodworker's wife.
On 24 Oct 2004 03:24:59 -0700, "Man In The Doorway"
<snip>

...about running out of wood or glue !
I suspect that some need the designer label of power tools to add to their Testicular Circumferance - that Antlers of Manhood. But some of us paid attention in Mr Williams 7th grade shop class and enjoy the uniqueness and savings that can be had with all those little things we do.
I see the troll "Man In The Doorway" aka "Dump In The Doorway" is back from a several year hiatus. You should have stayed away. I'll respond anyway.
On 24 Oct 2004 03:24:59 -0700, "Man In The Doorway"

None of that. I think we just like to make things.

When I buy tools I expect them to work well, for as long as I care to own them. B&D and Craftsman usually don't fit those requirements. I've had several Craftsman power tools go up in smoke during use.

Who cares what others think? I build for my satisfaction. And to have things that fit my particular need/use or are simply not built commercially because a market for such a thing is too small for any manufacturer to build one.
Sun, Oct 24, 2004, 3:24am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@hackernetwork.com (ManInTheDoorway) burbled: <snip of a batch of psychodrivel>
ROTFLMAO That you Dave?
JOAT Eagles can soar ... but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 13:44:28 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

www.wickedweasel.com

you're incorrigible....
that took up an hour of my afternoon....

NOT work safe.
Thanks!
calmly ranted:

There went MY entire afternoon. Thanks a lot, Laz.
--
"Excess regulation and government spending destroy jobs and increase
unemployment. Every regulator we fire results in the creation of over

Thought you guys would like that! I was kinda impressed myself.
Lazarus Long wrote:

You have to admire the commercaial acumen that can sell so little lycra for so much money,
Or you might admire something else at that site :-)
BugBear
On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 13:00:02 +0100, bugbear

Yeah, noticed both points. Big bux for not so much material.