Psychology of a woodworker

Fred the Red Shirt

Bravo, and thank you! I find it amusing sometimes that people look down their noses at tradesmen, assuming that we're all ignorant clods, when most shop work requires not only a great deal of problem-solving ability, but a quite a lot of math as well. Calculating compound angles, spring force, speeds and feed rates and dozens of other things is not for the faint of heart when the products you're making must be right not only the first time, but every time! That isn't to say that office work isn't stressful and difficult at times as well- but that sure doesn't make a craftsman stupid just because he (or she, for that matter) has some grease on his shirt.

ROFL! You mean like all those kids that go to school for business or liberal arts? Even a science degree doesn't always mean much- I have a friend who got his degree in comp. science from the University of Wisconsin Madison, and he's been selling TVs at a Best Buy for the past several years...

Reply to
Prometheus

When I enlisted in USN in 1955, green as grass farm kid, I wanted to be a "Driver" in the Seabees, but they stuck me in Electronics Tech school. When I questioned this, I was informed that I had good math & mechanical scores on my basic tests, and these qualities were needed to be an ET. Left an E5, and I did support my family decently for 27yr. as a field tech for NCR Corp. working on large scale EDP systems. To have a "blow-off" valve for the stress from that, went back into the Naval Reserve and cross-rated to Equipment Operator in the Seabees. I loved it, had a "feel" for it and still do like heavy equipment. No college, just a long "life experience". It also gave me the opening into driving truck when I couldn't take the tech life any more.

2nd example:

In the '60's, my BIL(wife's youngest brother) left USN, did college in Phoenix on GI Bill as a business major. When he graduated, best job he could get was managing a 7-11. Ended up joining USAF(fiancé was a military brat, convinced him to do it), became a C-130 navigator. Retired a few years back as a Lt. Colonel, having earned a couple more degrees under USAF programs. He now teaches part time @ Letourneau & another college in Longview, TX, and is a full time Baptist Minister.

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

the size you need. Joe

Reply to
Joe Gorman

Let me guess..Your wife is getting screwed by a woodworker?

Reply to
Sam

With mine you can make wood alcohol, with yours you can drink it...

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

Got me one of those B&D drills the year I got married 1967, still have it and it still works well, even had smoke coming out of it about 20 years ago when I used it to hone the cylinders of an engine I was rebuilding. Couple years ago I thought something a little bigger than

1/4 inch drive and variable speed would be nice. Went in to the local Borg and lo and behold they had this red plastic skil thing in the clearance bin for 20 bucks. Then we bought a new house a year ago and I had to put some holes in the concrete basement. - Tool sale some company set up in a local hall to sell Chinese knockoff junk. Did get some clamps for from 3 - 6 bucks each depending on size, they work fine. I like them even better than the 6" bessey F clamps I have their handles have grooves in them so my hand doesn't slip when tightening or loosening them. Then I saw it a 1/2" hammer drill for 29 bucks. Figured if it lasted through the holes I had to do it would have paid for itself right there. Almost made it too. Stopped dead in the 3rd (last) hole. Used the B&D to finish up. Didn't expect much from the hammer drill for 29 bucks, the company that made it was so proud of their work they didn't even put their name on it, but less than 3 holes. Took it apart and found where the wire which had been crimped on the brush spring came apart, soldered it and the drill works fine now for how long who knows.

Took up woodorking a couple years ago when I retired and figured I should get a router and having had good luck with my B&D drill and not having a clue what I was doing I bought a 2HP (ya right) B&D plunge router. The guy who designed that one should be buried up to his neck in an anthill where every person that bought a tool he designed can come and watch. Works fine if you don't mind the fact that there are no add on accessorys that will fit it and there is no fine height adjustment so you spend 1/2 an hour our so trying to get the bit height right. Needless to say when I get my new one later this year it will NOT be B&D. Rick

Reply to
RKG

Can't recall exactly either. So, I guess we'll have to wait until the DVD set of the original episodes comes out in the next few months.

Renata

Reply to
Renata

"Stone knives and bear skins" is accurate; the rest of the quote is close, but not exact. there are a number of (minor) variations of the quote cited on-line -- differing only in the wording between 'circuit' and 'stone'. The form that agrees with my recollection is: "I am endeavoring, ma'am, to construct a mnemonic memory circuit using stone knives and bearskins."

Incidentally, "The City on the Edge of Forever" was written by Harlan Ellison.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi