PSA Sand Paper

Since 1989 I have used nothing but PSA paper on my sanders. Prior to that I bought and sold thousands of boxes of this product and it was the standard in the automotive body shop industry. Up until 3 weeks ago I have read many complaints of PSA paper being a PIA to use. The main complaints were that it was too difficult to remove and that it left a sticky residue on the sander pad. For years I could only scratch my head and wonder WTF are these people complaining about as I have had no problems with this type paper at all and had never witnessed auto body man having a problem with it at all.

Well now I may see the light. My PSA sanders are Porter Cables. I have always used Porter Cable or 3M paper on these sanders and again must say that I have never had a problem with removing and replacing paper on these sanders. Enter into the equation, Porter Cable being bought by B&D. My local supplier had stopped reordering inventory from Porter Cable until the details were all worked out over the acquisition. Naturally the first things to run out was his Porter Cable sand papers. This left me with the choice to order paper and for the sake of giving another brand a try I chose Kingspor sand paper. I bought a box of 5" round PSA for my ROS and a roll of PSA paper for my SpeedBloc sander. WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT. I now see why there are some people that complain about PSA paper being a PIA to use. I'll go back to PC paper. Apparently Kingspor feels that PSA paper should be semi permanent and should leave 1/3 of the adhesive stuck to the sander pad. Every time that I remove the paper I have to clean the sander pad with acetone to remove the adhesive. Doing this 10 to 12 times a day gets old quick. I'm going back to PC brand and suggest that if you have had problems with PSA paper to try the Porter Cable brand. You should be pleasantly surprised.

Reply to
Leon
[snippage]

I am one of those complainers. My problem was that I would use one grit for a while, take it off, go up a grit, take it off etc. Then I'd re-use the same 3 or 4 disks on another job, because they weren't worn enough to discard. Hook & Loop was a solution for me and I never looked back. PSA just doesn't compare.

Then came along Mirka Abranet. It's a screen and must be Hook 'n Loop. No lining up holes either. Sanding large flat surfaces just doesn't get any better than this.

One beef: I wish that Lee Valley's conversion pads from PSA to H'nL would have a thicker pile of hook on them. The ones currently sold are not very 'grabby'.

Reply to
Robatoy

..snip long saga complaining about Klingspor PSA paper and extolling P-C branded paper wrt glue stick on pads...

I have no idea who makes P-C's paper and it's been so expensive to use can't comment on it directly. Similarly for Kingspor's PS papers--while in general Klingspor is great value, I think their PS prices are excessive. I have used Mirka on PC sanders w/ success and no significant glue "cling" and 3M automotive papers with similar results.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

For most of my sanding, I use H & L rather than PSA. The PSA would loose the stick after removing it once, and I use the heavier aluminum oxide discs (bowl sanding). With one of the eraser sticks, I can get a lot more use of the H&L. I may have to try the Abranet though. robo hippy

Reply to
robo hippy

You are an excelent candidate for hook and loop. You do not wear sand paper out before removing it. I probably go through 6 or 7 pieces with out changing grits. In my case hook and loop is not economiucal for me.

Reply to
Leon

H& L is a good choice for you as you remove the paper before wearing it out. PSA is hard to beat if you are doing production sanding and wearing out the paper before changing grits.

Reply to
Leon

Not counting shipping, Kingspor paper is more expensive for me compared to my supplier of Porter Cable paper. Try to find a trades supplier and you will probably find the paper cheaper. I paid about 10% less for the 5" round PSA from Kingspor but paid about 33% more for Kingspor for the roll for the SpeedBloc. I have noticed Crystal Bay and 3M printed on the backs of the PC paper over the last 16 years. I'll check into Mirka. Thanks.

Reply to
Leon

I have a PSA pad for my PC ROS. ( I need to use a heat gun to take the disc off.) It is made by EA and is nice and hard. I find that combo with

220 is better at 'blocking' than the softer HnL set-up. Sometimes I have to level a seam and there is just enough 'sponge' in the HnL interface for it to be not quite as good at 'flattening'. The dust collection on that set-up is atrocious and the centre of the discs load up like crazy. That is something that doesn't happen at all with Abranet on either the Festool Rotex or the 19-hole Mirka pad on the Ridgid (Metabo) 6" ROS. One of the antique car restorers in this county is just gaga over the Abralon (same company as Abranet)discs. They're foam backed and go up to 4000 grit for that "Hey! I can see myself!!"-look.
Reply to
Robatoy

As a new convert to H&L, I've gotta testify.. *g*

I've used PSA when I'm doing a lot of sanding, but find that tearing my own sheets (on 1/4 & 1/3 sheet sanders) is cheaper, easier and less hassle..

Then, on the urging of the wood turning group, I bought a set of disc pads for bowl sanding, and they are H&L... it's wonderful! No sticky stuff, change grits back 7 forth until the paper is ready to toss and no worries about being a little off when you put it on.. just pull it back off and try again.. hard to do with PSA.. I'm in the process of converting my most used sanders to H&L now and will not buy a new one that isn't set up for it..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

When I can go to the local NAPA and get bulk any type I want for less than mail order, I see no reason to do otherwise.

Actually, after posting I thought I would refresh my data so I looked in the last Kingspor catalogue--now I recall the primary issue there--they at least don't list the "holey" PSA round type. That, as I say, I can get at NAPA for less than theirs.

The only P-C branded I've ever seen is in very small packaging units. Since, if I'm going to order mail order I can get Mirka or other in large quantity much more cheaply, never been any incentive to look further...

BTW, Mirka is the Amazon "house" brand although it can be had other places as well...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

"robo hippy" wrote in news:1117207465.028969.192520 @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Enlightenment, please.

What sort of sander are you using for your bowl sanding? I ask, because I'm new to this bowl turning specialty, and, as sharp as I can get my tools, I still need to sand some. Power sanding seems to be the ticket.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

I don't know any other sand paper manufacturer in finland besídes of mirka. I like mirka sandpapers a lot but it seems that I have to clean them (I use a stiff brush) quite often.

seismo malm (from f> Hi Leon,

Reply to
Seismo Malm

Clean what, the electric sander pad or the sand paper? If you have to clean the sand paper often you should switch to an "Open Coat" type sand paper. If you have to clean the electric sander pad often, thanks for the warning.

Reply to
Leon

I use the Sioux Angle Drill. They also make one for Milwaukee that is identical. I just saw in my new catalogue from Craft Supplies that they have a new model with a stronger motor. I have three electric, and one pneumatic. I prefer the high speed model. All of my sanding is done with one of the thick soft pads, which conform nicely to the inside and outside of the bowl. I do wear out the bearings on at least 1 drill per year. The tool is a drill, and not a grinder. A 3 inch pad with medium pressure is hard on the tool, and I do a lot of bowls. I will consider myself a master when I can turn a bowl by eye (no calipers) and my cuts are fine enough that I don't have to sand. robo hippy

Patriarch wrote:

Reply to
robo hippy

Not from Mirka adhesives ime, if that's what you mean. Sounds like he's got a problem w/ varnish or sap or other similar problem. As you say, open coat will help. I've not seen any particular tendency to clog excessively w/ Mirka papers, and we've been through a tremendous amount over the last 18 months or so.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

LOL, and silly me figured that Kingspor would have made a good PSA paper.

Reply to
Leon

I'd have thought so too considering the promos they get here. I live in an industrial area (Seattle) so I can get whatever I need local.

Reply to
CW