project suggestions wanted for large slab of Mahogany

Hey All, I picked up a lot of lumber from the widow of a cabinet maker and one of the pieces I got was a slab of Mahogany 2 x 16 x 56. My completed projects are mostly cabinets, small tables, one hutch, and one bed and I'm at a loss as to how to best utilize this slab. I welcome any suggestions (although I won't comply with the ones to "give it away" or that are physically impossible). I thught of making a small table, but it seems too thick - hence heavy- for a table, so maybe a bench. And I should add there is no gloating here. I offered her a very reasonable amount for all of the lumber in the shop. Never tried to get it real cheap. Marc
Add pictures here
βœ–
Addendum... I can not decide if I should try to retain as much of the slab uncut or rip it for legs, etc. I also have several bdft of 4/4 and 8/4 Mahogany in smaller dimensions so this is not the only Mahogany available. And I have no means to resaw such a wide piece. That's all. Marc
Add pictures here
βœ–
Sat, Mar 8, 2008, 5:08am (EST-3) From: snipped-for-privacy@qis.net (marc rosen) <snip> I also have several bdft of 4/4 and 8/4 Mahogany in smaller dimensions so this is not the only Mahogany available. <snip>
Maybe no gloat, but most definitely a large warm fuzzy. Personally, I would NOT ask anyone for suggestions. I'd set it somewhere in my shop, or even in the house, where I could just sit, relax, and look at it until I finally decided what to do with it - I've got a bit of aromatic cedar set by, and that's exactly what I'm doing with it. Bult, myself, I think I would consider a nice thick chessboard, chess pieces (possibly Dutch turning), along with a set of checkers. Or, possibly some type of chair, probably not a bench or table. But, it's your wood, your decision. If you want to get in good with the Woodworking Gods, you could always sent it slong as a sacrifice for them.
JOAT 10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker I do not have a problem with a woman president - except for Hillary.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Hi Marc, Maybe you're close enough to one of us that can resaw it (if that is what you want...) I have a 20" MiniMax in W Tn. Tom

Add pictures here
βœ–

fire place mantel
Add pictures here
βœ–

I would build a hall bench. Does it have natual edge? David Marks on DYI uses alot of slab lumber in his projects, so that may place to check out for projects.
Randy http://nokeswoodworks.com
Add pictures here
βœ–

Impressive hunk of wood? I'd try to utilize it "as is" or no more than one cut. The bench idea sounds good or a 28 x 32 table, or even better, a side table with full sized slab. IMO, a piece of wood like that deserves some extra time and thought to showcase it rather than just re-saw and make a mundane utilitarian item.
OTOH, if it is full of imperfections, just cut it and use it as you see fit.
Add pictures here
βœ–

I agree. It would be a shame to cut that up.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Finding a piece of wood like that is ranks right up there with the fisherman who caught the biggest Bass in the lake.
They both deserve a lot of respect.
Think I'd continue to cure that piece of wood for a couple of years while I gave a lot of thought as to what might be made using it.
Have fun.
Lew
Add pictures here
βœ–
Hey Guys, Thanks for the thoughts. It is a near perfect piece of Mahogany- no checks, etc. and almost planer smooth on both faces (but no natural edge). I think I'll take my time looking for just the right project, but a bench sounds like the best use for it. No fireplace, just a wood stove. Tom, thanks too for your offer of resawing but I'm too far away anyway (Maryland). Read you all later, Marc
Add pictures here
βœ–

seats for something like this
http://www.hiwhy.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/costco-chairs.jpg
different legs tho. these are fugly.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Why force the issue? If you don't know what to do with it, then don't do anything. Sooner or later, an opportunity will present itself. Until that happens, chances are you'll rue a snap decision.
Jeff
Add pictures here
βœ–
The dimensions just scream bench. I think Mahogany tends towards an asian feel. I sketched up an idea at http://www.sonomaproducts.com/bench.htm
Reverse beveled legs (wider at the floor) for a heavy look, built up from the other 8/4 material you have on hand. Lots of through tennons. Trestle design with a double cross spreader. Under cut bevel on the bottom of the slab. The under cut actually lessens the visual impact of the thickness which is sort of counter productive but it gives it sort of a pagoda look. The other possibility is to band saw a slight bow in the seating surface dropping the center of the long dim to maybe 5/4 thickness. Look at second version linked from top of first page.
I've been doing lots of designs similar to this lately as moderen derivitives of the Stickley bow armed chair type designs with the reverse beveled legs. I am trying to work up a curve in the legs vs the straight bevel and also canting the legs out slightly to make a real splayed look but this version reflects the straight bevel and no splay.
BW

Add pictures here
βœ–
Hey BW, Thanks, that was very nice of you to provide the sketches - it gives me a lot to think about. My wife likes the idea and the appearance of the tapered legs too. I appreciate your taking the time. Marc
Add pictures here
βœ–

I like that. A lot.
βœ–