Print your own gun?

Page 2 of 2
Why would anyone want a plastic gun that takes hours to make on an expensive 3D printer, and will only fire 1 shot, when for about $10 worth of hardware from Lowe's or HD they can make a reliable shotgun that, though time consuming to reload, will last indefinitely?
plausible, and wrong." (H L Mencken)
On Tue, 7 May 2013 22:34:10 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry W) wrote:

To get past the TSA?
wrote in message (Larry W) wrote:

Another non-issue... Armored cockpit doors installed post-9/11 makes anything but bombs pretty much useless in commandeering airliners. That is what led to the changes recently that allows for small pocket knives, nail clippers, etc., to be carried on-board again...
On Tue, 7 May 2013 21:34:34 -0400, "John Grossbohlin"

There are other places were such things would be "useful". Suicide assins, anyone?

...except they aren't.
wrote in message

Seriously? The risk of being struck by lightening is way higher than the risk of this for all but a small number of people in the world... They have security details and technology on their side. On the other hand, while at an academic law conference in Phoenix I heard one participant remark that the most dangerous place in Washington, DC is between Chuck Schumer and a television camera. I chuckled at the time but from what I've seen since then I believe there is a lot of truth to that: It is no surprise that he is out talking of the fantasy evils of these guns...

The regs are changing... http://www.tsa.gov/pil-sharpobjects and http://www.tsa.gov/pil-sportequip
"John Grossbohlin" wrote:

You sure that wasn't McCain?
Lew
On Tue, 7 May 2013 20:52:56 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

And the most dangerous place in Texas anywhere on the muzzle side of Cheney.
"Markem" wrote in message wrote:

At least he used an elegant little 28 gauge.... ;~)
On Wed, 8 May 2013 20:45:50 -0400, "John Grossbohlin"

...and shot a lawyer.
On Tue, 7 May 2013 23:39:03 -0400, "John Grossbohlin"

I see you're blind to the facts of life.

Ah, so I'm not important enough to be "assassinated", there is no one on the planet who is. Go it.

Good grief. They're going to be of no help against a lone gunman with a suicide wish. Perhaps John Hinkley didn't exist in your universe.

wrote in message
On Tue, 7 May 2013 23:39:03 -0400, "John Grossbohlin"

You make my earlier point... a goal oriented attacker will find a means regardless of any laws.

They postponed implementing them according to their blog and web site. Not canceled the changes...
On Wed, 8 May 2013 10:19:30 -0400, "John Grossbohlin"

Of course, but beside the point. A plastic gun will be of use to someone, even if it is single-shot.

It's government. They've never going to admit that they were wrong. They should have floated the idea in the industry before burning the bush. Not their style, though.
John Grossbohlin wrote:

How about getting past the metal detectors at federal courthouses? The Capitol? And other similar places.
Fortunately, my state (Texas) allows regular concealed handguns in the capitol, the governor's office, just about anywhere.
"HeyBub" wrote in message

The response was to TSA detection... However, that said, we as a society, need to forget the notion of stopping ALL violent crime and stopping ALL terrorism through legislation and law enforcement. It is an impossible state of affairs for a number of reasons. Firstly, a goal oriented attacker will find a means to attack whether it's legal or not. In line with this thread, making 3D printed non-metallic guns illegal will not stop people from making them... and it will not stop people from substituting other weapons. In theory if there were armed, skilled police officers assigned to follow everyone 24/7 crime and terrorism could be eliminated... but to hire that many police surely criminals would be hired and the taxes would be pretty unreasonable for all... there is plenty of historical information to support those statements.

How odd... a government that trusts it's people! Then again, the "unpaid" police force that it creates further raises the opportunity costs to criminals and thus supplements the paid police with no increase in taxes. A win/win for society.
John Grossbohlin wrote:

Heh! Imagine a MSM journalist with a Concealed Handgun License (CHL)! That's exactly what happened in Texas - they must really be conflicted.
Here's what happened: A couple of years ago, some dufus exited our state capitol, pulled out his pistol and popped a few rounds into the air. This freaked out some, so a policy was put in place to require passing through a metal detector for visitors to the building.
This rule, however, conflicted with state law on, as you said, trusting those with a CHL.
So, a separate queue was set up for CHL holders - "Speak Friend, and Enter" (flash your license and boogie). So, if you're a reporter, and want to avoid the sometimes lengthy metal-detector line, you get the license.
One wonders how the media types sleep at night...
"HeyBub" wrote in message

I'm no fan of the bias exhibited by the press. However, like with painting all gun owners with the same brush there is risk with painting all journalists with the same brush... Personally I know a guy who spent his career in the newspaper industry as a reporter, editor and managing editor. He also taught journalism at a SUNY school which is where I first encountered him. He was also the student advisor for the Legislative Gazette, a publication held in high regard by all parties. While there he mentored hundreds of journalism students. http://www.legislativegazette.com/ Later I encountered him at a gun show... turns out he was a gun dealer too! The last time I saw him was in a State Senator's office in Albany, NY where we were both there to discuss some pending legislation that was not justified by anything but emotions and lots of irrationality. The recent SAFE Act includes pretty much all of it... the story of which needs no repeating here.
Maybe the MSM journalist is a closet gun owner? ;~)
On Tue, 7 May 2013 22:34:10 +0000 (UTC),

You're completely missing the point. It's technology this is here now and will be improved up very quickly.