Primers for paint - questions

Hi all,

I need a primer on primers.

Can you use any sort of primer on, say, an epoxy surface? Or should one use an epoxy primer? What about a wood surface? Metal surface?

Are there certain primers for certain kinds of paint? I see epoxy primers

- can I use any sort of paint on that? How does primer provide a good grip on both the underserface as well as the paint?

thanks

Reply to
gregg