Pretty ticked off with Delta right now

Had been planning to buy a Griz G1023SL cabinet saw because I've been very happy with all my other Griz purchases. I went to the local Tool Depot when they had their tool fair a couple of weeks ago and saw that Delta was there with their new cabinet saw the 36-730. It looked pretty good, was still 3 hp, had a 52 in Biez clone fence and they had a pretty sharp pencil. I asked about the dado width and they rep looked it up in the catalog and said 15/16. I bought the saw because it was only $200 more than the Griz and had the 52" rip capacity. I saw on their web site that the dado width was 5/8". I called the factory to verify and they said it was a typo and that it was 15/16". I see the web site has been changed.
Took delivery yesterday and was a little stunned to learn that you have to buy and "accesory" arbor to use a dado stack at all. While I may very well like the saw (not put together yet), I don't have a good taste already because I belive I've been deceived by their not mentioning this when I asked. I should have looked at the arbor length when I first viewed the saw but the insert has a screw to prevent taking it out - and I would have never dreamed that it would be different than any other saw they make. Are Unisaws this way? Thanks for letting me vent.
Don
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
No, Unisaws will hold about 15/16

when
there
said
had
5/8".
well
saw
never
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

well
saw
never
You may find several similarities but you do not have a Unisaw so there will be differences.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
I'm the first to recognize that. This saw is made is a 3hp cabinet saw but made in Taiwan as the primary difference, another is a chamhered edge across the wings as well as the front of the table. The switch is in a different place (supposedly to allow for shutting it off with the knee), a hinged motor cover allowing pretty easy access to the inside of the cabinet but it doesn't have the "pizaz" that the Unisaws do. According to the rep, this saw was made to compete for the market of those who can't or won't spend the money on a Unisaw but they don't want to lose the market share to Jet or Grizzly. My only beef is that there was ample opportunity to tell me about the dado width issue since I had asked specifically about it. It's really not the inconvenience as much as it's the principal of the matter. That said, once together, I think I'll like it.
Don

to
will
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
I have a Unisaw and my easily (sometimes TOO easily) shuts off the saw. Just where is your switch?
dave
V.E. Dorn wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
I left out "knee" after "and my".
dave
Bay Area Dave wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
I picked up on that, it's located at the right knee area directly behind the front of the saw. It is necessary to raise the leg slightly, but not much. Never really thought of accidently shutting it off - have to watch that.
Here is the link to view it.
http://www.deltawoodworking.com/index.asp?e 6&pH35
Don

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
yep, mine gets shut off that way, mostly on purpose.
V.E. Dorn wrote:

--
---

BRuce


Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
I looked at the pic. Is it on the right because it is a right tilt? My switch is on the left AND it's a left tilt. I have never looked into the tilt determining switch position. Like you said, it may be due to the model as opposed to tilt direction.
Most of the time when I bend forward to grab the piece just cut, my left thigh switches off the motor. It's like an "auto off". <g>
dave
V.E. Dorn wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Mine is a right tilt and has the switch on the left, which as you say is very convenient to hit off with one's thigh.
Art

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Delta contractor/Unisaws used to come with an arbor that would handle at least 13/16ths. This must be a new gimmick on their part. You think you are venting now, wait until you see what Delta charges for accessories/parts! You'd need to mortgage your house to build a machine from the parts catelog.

when
there
said
had
5/8".
well
saw
never
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
It's been a couple days of researching but this is what I found. The base unit of the Delta Cabinet saw (Taiwan model) is a 36-729. Depending upon what you want for a fence, the model number changes. The 36-729 is the only saw that Delta makes that requires a seperate (longer) arbor in order to use a dado stack. You need another one yet if you want to use a molding head cutter. You can't even just leave the longer one on because it will catch on the table when you bevel the blade anything past 30 degrees. They offered to get me the arbor but Delta says they don't exist yet and if they do, they are either in China, Taiwan or possibly on a boat somewhere in between.
Therefore, they are coming to pick my saw up and when they do, they will see that I have a Grizzly jointer, bandsaw, drill press and air compressor. What they won't see is the Griz cabinet saw that is going to replace the one they are taking. I still like Delta, but they flubbed on this saw in my opinion.
djd

very
3
was
to
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Good for you....
Good luck Rob
--

Remove CC for email and please visit our web site:
http://www.robswoodworking.com
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Tom Kohlman wrote:

They still do. The saw the man is talking about isn't a Unisaw.
http://www.deltamachinery.com/index.asp?e 6&pH35
UA100
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Site Timeline

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.