Pretty good dust collection doing some kinds of free hand routing

In the June/July 2004 issue of Wood magazine they had a way to do dust collection when doing free hand routing. They put a couple of long gutter spikes in the holes that accept an edge guide on the router. Then they attached a 4" hose to the spikes. I have been making a bunch of half blind dovetails using a jig. I tried their scheme and while not perfect, I got about 90% of the chips in the bag on my dust collector rather than on my floor. I have posted this same article with some pictures on alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking if you care to have a look.

Dick Snyder

Reply to
Dick Snyder

I am interested in seeing what you have done, but can't seem to find the binary site. Please advise.

Reply to
toller

It is alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking. It is possible that your news server doesn't get that site. Not every server gets every site due to some local policy by the ISP. If you can't find it, let me know and I will email the pictures to you.

Reply to
Dick Snyder

Dick, that rig seems like it would be pretty awkward to use. I have enough challenge keeping the power cord safely where I want it.

Broom and a shopvac afterwards works for me. To each his own.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch