Prettiest Wood?

Page 2 of 2
Dear Canuck Ironmonger-
what I'd myself is wander about in the aisles myself and see if a particular board of anything jumped out at me.     Bridger
David, I like the lacewood or padauk. The padauk will coat your whole shop in a nice red-orange dust, but the end result is outstanding.
-- Ed. O. My woodworking projects at: http://www.amiigas.com Remove the NAIL from e-mail to reply
Ed. O. wrote:

You misspelled "lungs".

Chuck Vance Just say (tmPL) It *is* pretty. And the glow-in-the-dark shavings are a conversation-piece.
Curly Willow
MPD_Blue wrote:

Didn't you have a pic of that stuff on one of your L-N plane gloat shots on your website?
IIRC, it was *outstanding* looking wood.
Chuck Vance Just say (tmPL) And the planes weren't too bad either.
On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 12:21:53 GMT, "David F. Eisan"

is this box for the new girlfriend? my wife loves lacewood and gravitates to any box ive done which contains that wood. my personal choice would be rosewood which has some of the nicest grain ive seen. another choice would be maybe a hunk of burl. finally, you may want to consider some plain ol pine or poplar and get some outrageous veneer to cover it up with. many women do not really appreciate the exotic woods, or any wood for that matter. im betting she'd be more taken by the design than the wood that went in to making it. when it comes to making something for my wife, this phrase goes into every consideration of design and construction ....'simple but elegant'.... disregard this post if you are making the box for a guy.
TomL
On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 12:21:53 +0000, David F. Eisan wrote:

personal preference is birdseye maple. Lacewood is pretty but kind of hard to work. I have found that I need to block sand it by hand to maintain a flat surface. Bubinga and red gum are pretty but I would think they are better suited to larger projects, although if you can find a good piece of curly bubinga or "waterfall" bubinga it would be nice for a small box (use sharp tools, the stuff is hard as a rock and dust burns the nose). If you prefer a red colored wood I have seen some Wenge that is very pretty, and for a darker colored wood ebony is hard to beat but may be pricy. If you have a chance to look around some dark curly walnut makes really pretty boxes but my preferences lean toward lighter colored woods.
Burled thuya.
Brian.

David F. Eisan wrote:

<snort> Nothing over $25 a bf... We can't use anything *expensive* afterall.
Yeesh. I'm glad I consider walnut an "exotic." :)
"David F. Eisan" wrote in message .. snip>

Well, Lacewood is nice, but so is common old Redgum and Tulipwood. See ABPW, I've put some pics there for you.
Greg
On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 12:21:53 GMT, "David F. Eisan"

IMHO, I think you should go to your local lumber supplier and dig thru his stock of domestics and exotics and look for something out of the ordinary. I have found that even regular domestics can have some of the flashiest grain patterns if you search thru them. I just built a box for a Christmas gift and wasn't even really looking at the grain pattern when I picked up some ash. Just looking for low cost (gift for the SWMBO's friends). When I applied an oil finish to it I started noticing that I'd been blessed with some ash w/ an incredible grain pattern and off-the-wall vein like reddish streaks. After applying the final finish it looks like curly maple with some extras. Now I'm disappointed that I didn't keep the wood for my own use. Oh well, SWMBO wanted and she got.

Padauk will fade in time and loose the nice orange color.