Prettiest Wood?

Oh man! That is absolutely beautiful!

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

There's always that standard fallback, when in doubt...

Poplar.

;-)

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

sweet? man your idea of sweet is odd (G) you want sweet cut some vera that stuff is sweet. makes your whole shop smell sweet.

Reply to
Steve Knight

I've worked with vitae, and really enjoy the smell of that. is vera anything like that? Bridger

Reply to
nospam

Nothing over $25 a bf... We can't use anything *expensive* after all.

Yeesh. I'm glad I consider walnut an "exotic." :)

Reply to
Silvan

Well, Lacewood is nice, but so is common old Redgum and Tulipwood. See ABPW, I've put some pics there for you.

Greg

Reply to
Groggy

Thanks, Mark. I made it as a Christmas gift for my mom. I've got a small stash of similar stuff tucked away in my shop for emergencies. :-) Half of it is the curly stuff like the sides of the box, and the rest is the flame/crotch stuff like the top.

FWIW, the stuff is an absolute bear to plane. I've never had any great problems with other curly woods (maple, cherry, walnut), but this stuff seems to alternate hard/soft grain as well as having reversals every inch or so. And then the crotch stuff ... whew!

Chuck Vance Just say (tmPL) But it's worth it for how it looks when you're done.

Reply to
Conan The Librarian

I'll toss in a vote for sycamore. I just turned a piece last night with sycamore and I was very suprised at the results (never having worked with sycamore before). Very hard, close grain. Some nice figuring and the grain looks beautiful. It finishes very nicely too - I have put on but one coat of tung oil and it already shines like glass.

Stinks when cutting though.

-Chris

Reply to
Chris

rosewood? just a thought. realy pretty stuff. skeez

Reply to
skeezics

Reply to
Joseph Smith

my hometown tree is the sycamore.... it give great sade, but it doesn't drop it's leaves until mid to late december.... and in wind storms leaves alot of debris around... i have looked for some, but in this area, it is considered a garbage tree....

Reply to
WARRENRN1

Padauk will fade in time and loose the nice orange color.

Reply to
Ross

Which I suppose would make a very good substrate for veneer.

WHich means, that pretty much any wood could be chosen and used within that price range.

Anybody make pink ivory veneer?

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt