Presealer for cherry?

Page 2 of 2
Unless you have some really nice heart wood, most cherry requires some "extra" work to make it look uniform.
To have that spiffy cherry finish everybody raves about, start with poplar and work your way up....
After 10-15 rounds, you should have that famous cherry finish.

Looks like you are getting a lot of help. ;o}
What I am guessing is you want to end up with an unstained and very smooth finish. In that case an intermediate layer of a sanding sealer, available in most hardware or home stores, might be in order. Actually a good, thorough sanding followed with finish, also sanded or rubbed might work as well. Oils will also provide a good deal of seal. Boiled Linseed oil really pops grain but is not durable. You will have to top with another finish.
RonB

I'm not sure exactly what you want or why you want to use it on cherry but a 1 pound cut of dewaxed shellac will serve as a nice washcoat. You can make something close enough quickly by adding one volume of alcohol to one volume of Seal-Coat. This wash coat will minimize blotching or uneven finish aborption.
Good Luck.

What's the project? What's the topcoat? Flexner recommends orange shellac for cherry or walnut for its warm tone. You'll need dewaxed orange if you're topcoating, HD doesn't carry, Woodcraft is overpriced; order off the net.
If you're *topcoating* with shellac (*nothing* looks better on cherry), the waxy orange Zinnser stuff from HD is fine.
On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 09:54:30 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

Hell, doesn't bother me. If someone wants to filter me then who am I to complain? The people here whose knowledge and skills that I respect don't appear to have any problem with me and that's all that counts as far as I'm concerned.
Another new name for George Watson?
How many hundred has it been so far, here? I have to stop exposing your phoney ass.
----------------
"Dave" wrote in message Hell, doesn't bother me. If someone wants to filter me then who am I to complain? The people here whose knowledge and skills that I respect don't appear to have any problem with me and that's all that counts as far as I'm concerned.

The *only* thing you expose with every message is your remarkable lack of intelligence. It's truly a wonder you found out how to turn a computer on.
I'm still having problems accessing up-to-date posts. I have no idea if my replies are posting, as no recent posts have shown up, for me. Would someone email me a new link, cedarsonny at aol dot com , to see if that might help me.
I think Flexner, Marks and other references are correct. Seems the basic idea is with the use of an oil, in some capacity, initially. Here's another link that may help: http://www.finishwiz.com/cherry04.htm
Sonny

The fact you are being 'haunted' by IT says volumes for *your* credibility. You are annoying the edjut :-) Only yesterday - in Usenet terms - IT thought you well worth some "realigning".
You worked out Josepi/'mII'/Eric/mHo is petrified I may just publish his RL data.. heh george
"Dave" wrote in message
Hi, I'm teaching myself the proper conditioning procedures for cherry and I need to preseal it. Can anyone recommend a brand of presealer for the cherry? Thanks.
I use a 1/2 pound coat or two of shellac.