Powermatic Artisan

Reply to
Bob Bowles

I have a Powermatic Artisan saw, made in China but with the Powermatic label. Ever since it was new it has vibrated and shaken like a piece of junk. Nothing is loose; I have found that the vibration is lessened by taking some of the motor weight off the belt. The sheaves are machined (standard). Some have suggested that replacing sheaves and belt with better quality will make a big difference. I am looking for responses from those that have actually done this. Are the link belts as good as advertised? Thanks in advance. Dave

Reply to
Dave W

Get the link belts..

Reply to
Leon

Same saw-same problem. I only replaced the belts with links though as the run-out in the pulleys was less then .001 tir. However-I attached a light weight spring to the motor mount and then to the saw stand frame to act as a dampener-now it is smooth and even

Reply to
Greybeard

Not to be a smartass or to ask a stupid question, but why did you care after it was turned off. Hank Jewett NY

Reply to
Henry St.Pierre

I used to have that piece of crap saw. Now I have the Unisaw.

To let you know what I did, which did little good:

I changed the pulleys to turned pulleys. Still vibrated too much.

I changed to a link belt. A bit more power, a bit less vibration. But still the bolts kept loosening, and the cuts were not exactly great.

I changed the motor to a better quality 2HP, after consulting with Powermatic.

I also changed the crappy Vega fence witha Biesmeyer.

I wound up trading the saw (because of the Bies fence) for some work done in my house.

Then I bough the Unisaw. It came out of the box ten years ago dead accurate. It stil is. Get rid of that Powermatic trash and get the 66, Unisaw, General, Jet, Grizzly, whatever.

The contractor saws now seem all to be imports of lousy quality. You always get what you pay for. You can soup up a Stanley handplane to a good tool, you can't up a crappy power tool to a good one though. Too many variables. With a table saw and bandsaw, you have to pay much more to get a basic quality.

Reply to
DarylRos