Powermatic 66 or General of Canada 650-T50-M25?

I'm finally able to step up to a cabinet saw. Can anybody advise me on which way to go here? I will appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

Garrett

Reply to
Garrett

I have absolutely no hands on experience with either, other than drooling on the cast iron in a store, but they are my short list for a cabinet saw within the next few months. Not ON the short list; they ARE the short list.

I've never heard anything bad about the General and damned few about the PM66. I don't think you would be sorry with either one.

LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

Where do you live? General in Canada or Powermatic in the US? That wouldn't finalize my choice, but it would be a starting point.

Reply to
Upscale

I'm going to tell you to buy the General, 'cause that's what I bought.

If I didn't think it was the best, I would have bought a different saw.

Overall, I think either one is a great tool, but I chose the General for these reasons: The total lack of plastic on the saw. The feel of the adjustment wheels. The massive trunnion. The overall feel of the saw in person. After fingering a bunch of cabinet saws, the General simply felt the best to me. I suggest that you put the same effort into shopping, and buy the one that speaks to you.

Last but not least, I'm a huge hockey fan, and the General is from Quebec, as are some of the best goalies in the game.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

As a parallel, I've always hated hockey, hockey fans and their rhetoric, so if I had a General, I'd happily cut anybody's wooden hockey stick in half. :)

Reply to
Upscale

Ya' just don't understand.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Not anymore anyway. It's not really the game I hate, it's the fans, at least the Toronto fans. I gawked as Harold Ballard, a former buffoon owner of the Leafs, systematically run the team into the sewer while fans put up with the skyrocketing price increases, the gutting of the team and his thumbing his nose at everyone. The worse the team got, the more fanatical the fans became. He left a legacy of crap that the fans of today have earned in full measure, I'd sooner support a hockey team from Picacho, Arizona than I'd support the Toronto, maple leafs.

Apologies, rant over.

Reply to
Upscale

No problem! I have $650 season tickets for the American League. We see a lot of young talent surprises and guys with big signing bonuses end up driving buses. For $20 a game, I enjoy the show.

Gary Bettman stole our Whalers.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

hey- Picacho is just down the road a bit from here. I'll have to check out the next game...

; ^ )

Reply to
Bridger