Powermatic 54A Long Bed Jointer- Shipping Dimensions and weight?

Has anyone here purchased this jointer via mail order? I'm interested in getting one but have some concerns about getting the thing down into my basement workshop. The shop is accessed by a staircase with a bend and I will probably have to carry it down by myself. Anyone know how many boxes this comes in and what the dimension and weights of them are? TIA

Yes, the guys at tech support for Powermatic. You can even download the manual. http://www.wmhtoolgroup.com/PMWood/PMWoodIndex.html
Comes in two cartons. Probably best to unpack and take the big pieces by themselves.
Another option is to stop at your local dealer. They will be glad to help a customer with loading into your car or truck and give you some idea of how they put it together. \Ed
(PSobon) wrote:

If you call WMH Tools (the parent company for JET and Powermatic), they can tell you all of that. That's what I did when I needed to know if I could get a JET 10" cabinet saw into my basement. They were very helpful, and gave me all the information I asked for. Phone number and email address are on their website. http://www.wmhtoolgroup.com
the longest box is the one with the jointer and that one is around 75" long and about 2 1/2" feet wide IIRC. The gross weight for that carton is about 180 lbs. the stand is no problem; it's relatively light (about 70 lbs gross weight) and close to a "cube". If you don't pull the fence and stuff out of the main box, that sucker is gonna be a BEAR for one person. You aren't going to be able to lift it unless you built like Arnold!
dave
PSobon wrote:

Please have it drop shipped to my home and I will validate the carton sizes for you. ;-)
Bob

Mine came in two cartons. A squarish one for the base, and a 75" long rectangular carton containing the jointer bed. The base is the lighter one, and I think you should be able to get it down the stairs yourself. The jointer bed on the other hand is a pretty heavy slab of cast iron, and you're going to need help.
Good luck, its a great jointer.
Glenn de Souza Scottsdale, Arizona

Glen, did you crib my answer?? :)
dave
Glenn de Souza wrote:

"PSobon" wrote ...

I picked mine up from the store and hauled it home myself. I don't remember the exact dimensions (and they may have changed as I bought mine in 2002). However, it came in two boxes. The smaller, more cubic box was for the stand. If you have seen the stand in person, you can imagine the size of the box as it is doesn't have too much packing around it. It is heavy as it contains the motor already mounted but is manageable and should make it down the stairs without much fuss.
The second box is long (about 6 or 8 inches longer than the jointer itself) and contains the joiner bed and fence. It is VERY BLOODY heavy. It isn't that big around so if it were lighter you could stand it on end and move it just about anywhere. However, it is a heavy B*%$# (I moved it myself so I know) and that will be the biggest problem you face getting into a basement. One thing I did to avoid a hernia was to open the box and remove the fence and other loose parts. Then you could move them separately and still tape the box back up so you don't damage the bed. You may not think it makes that much difference but that fence is one big, heavy bugger and it does ease the load remarkably.
Sorry I don't have more specific info on the dimensions but that was my experience moving it around.
--
Cheers,
Howard

Powermatic 54A boxed specifications:
Bed and Fence (Box 1 of 2) 12" x 25" x 70" (rounded-up to the nearest inch) gross weight 38.2 kgs. (84.04 lbs.)
Stand (Box 2 of 2) 25" x 25" x 17" (rounded-up to the nearest inch) gross weight 112.1 kgs. (246.62 lbs.)
Cheers,
Lowell

Thanks one and all for the timely and informative responses to my query. From the descriptions given I'm pretty sure that I can get this down into the basement. Now, if any of you guys are free for an afternoon and want some exercise.....
Exercise? My friends would run if I tried that approach. Free beer and steak and 60" TV *might* be enough to sway a few over to your place.

Did you reverse the weights by any chance?

No.
The weights as printed on the boxes are in kilograms only; I appended the conversion to pounds.
Cheers,
Lowell
Other posts indicated the box with the fence was, by far, the heaviest. Your weights posted indicated the stand was the heaviest. That's why I asked.

Something is wrong here. Having received and assembled for display in the store a number of these jointers, I can say that the long box containing the jointer itself is much heavier than the box containing the stand and motor. My back told me so every time I had to pick that long sucker up off the floor!
Terry
On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 16:26:40 GMT, "Bob Davis"

Ah, now I see what you meant. Yes, I did transpose the box weights. The Bed and Fence box is the heavier of the two boxes. Thanks for pointing that out.
Here's a corrected version of the information:
Bed and Fence (Box 1 of 2) 12" x 25" x 70" (rounded-up to the nearest inch) gross weight 112.1 kgs. (246.62 lbs.)
Stand (Box 2 of 2) 25" x 25" x 17" (rounded-up to the nearest inch) gross weight 38.2 kgs. (84.04 lbs.)
Cheers,
Lowell