Power tools:

Page 2 of 2
On 3/29/2012 6:49 PM, sal wrote:

Power tools don't make a woodworker. All you need is the desire and a few simple hand tools. If you think all you have to do is run out and buy a bunch of power tools you are in for an expensive surprise.
I started out with the usual assortment of hand tools and an old used electric drill. My first major power tool was a radial arm saw. I bought it about forty years ago and built my rec room. Over the years I have added to my tool collection and done a lot of woodworking. It was the knowledge I gained over the years that made me a woodworker, not the tools. The tools only made the work easier.
I've got a work room now that Norm would appreciate. It's in a house that I designed and built myself. All the power tools in the would could not have built that house. I built it. I could have done it with the original assortment of hand tools I had when I was in my early twenties. All the power did was to cut the build time down.
You asked for advice, here it is. The internet is just an amusing waste of time. Turn off your computer and go build something. If you don't like how it turned out build it again.
Waste of wood? That would be nothing compared to the value of the time you have already wasted asking for advice that is essentially useless to you.
LdB
On 3/30/2012 12:46 PM, LdB wrote:

Mostly agree ... especially when those asking for advice have no idea of the level of competence/experience of the responders; nor, because they had to ask in the first place, do they have the experience to separate good advice from bad.
Bottom line ... you can indeed learn on Usenet, including much about woodworking, but you have to take much of the proffered advice with a grain of salt until you can recognize those you can trust on most issues.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Swingman wrote:

Did you observe any bad advice proffered?

On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 18:00:00 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

Yeah, people out there are telling folks to -stain- perfectly good and innocent wood, fer pity's sake.

What's not good to some can be excellent to others, and vice versa. It's called a difference of opinion, Mikey. Differences in ability to explain things can make a difference to the OP, too. they might not understand the 'good' advice yet immediately grasp the 'mediocre'. Hearing all the different forms of advice is good for the OP. It lets them start understanding the various levels people are coming from. The pineywood hacker will give different advice than the veteran hardwood woodworker or a veneer god. It's all good.
-- "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Attributed to Thomas Jefferson, but Massah Ed, he doan tink it so.
On 3/30/2012 2:33 PM, Swingman wrote:

You'll take note of how I began my first reply to this thread!!! : )
> I like to get expert advice before I start any project.
Disclaimer: I'm not an expert (and it should be easy to find people here who will back me up on that)!
Of what you listed, a "bench may be the easiest. Assuming you mean "workbench", as it doesn't have to compete with furniture standards. You can buy everything you need at HomeDepot or Lowes and create a basic one in a weekend or so. I'm still working on mine (inside joke)! ...
On 4/2/2012 7:38 AM, Bill wrote:

Anyone reading the post this is in reply to wouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell of who said what.
You guys need to take the time to get your quotes right, or the increasing ignorance of future generations attempting to read it will be thrown them into a confused state that even big pharma can't handle.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
--------- "Swingman" wrote in message
On 4/2/2012 7:38 AM, Bill wrote:

Anyone reading the post this is in reply to wouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell of who said what.
You guys need to take the time to get your quotes right, or the increasing ignorance of future generations attempting to read it will be thrown them into a confused state that even big pharma can't handle.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Well, my post may have been confounded by my pasting from one post into another. I apologize if it left you in a confused state. It surely was not intended.
Please allow me to also extend my apologies to any "future generations" out there who are reading this! : ) What year did the SawStop technology become mandated by law in the US?
Cheers from 2012, Bill
Thanks for the input members I really got a good cross section of Idea's much appreciated. For those of you curious about my location it is 49*53'0"N/97*10'0"W
Sal

On 3/29/2012 6:49 PM, sal wrote:

Ge Sal, you are going to get a ton of answers.
Decide for yourself what tools you will need.
Look at what you want to build and determine which tools will be needed. That is not complicated.
Do you need to cut wood, get a saw. Do yo need holes, get a drill...
Do not go out and randomly buy a list of tools with out knowing if you will actually need them.
Yes Leon I did I'm going to sift through them and take it easy. I do have a contractors saw router table and plunge router , miter saw , jigsaw ,drill , sanders and various handtools ,
Sal

On 3/31/2012 12:03 PM, sal wrote:

Well Sal, you absolutely have enough to start with, it is all gravy from here.