Power tools:

Page 1 of 2
I hate to be a pest, one more question though. What would be the minimum power tool requirement a woodworker should have to make simple type furniture e.g.. footstool , bookcase, bench etc? I like to get expert advice before I start any project. Wood is very expensive to just turn into sawdust.
Sal

That's kind of a subjective question. Power tools could mean drill, circular saw, router, etc. I consider all those types of tools as a minimum because you could build all your examples with them. And so, I'd think of them as everybody already owning them.
For me, the minimum power tool (big iron) would be a table saw, a contractor's table saw as a minimum and a cabinet saw as a preferred choice.

just hand (and foot) tools. The other end of the spectrum is Norm Abram who seems to abhor any hand tool if he can possibly use a power tool. Art

Expect to get all sorts of answers from no power tools to a fully equipped shop costing tens of thousands of dollars.
How much money to you have? Set a budget and then set your priorities. I started out with a cheap (less than $200) Craftsman table saw. It has shortcomings, but I was able to build a lot of nice little things. After a couple of years, I figured I'd be sticking with the hobby and bought a Delta Contractor saw.
As I needed tools and had the money, I bought for a specific project, not because there is any sequence to equip a shop. . Drill press, small compressor and brad nailer, ROS sander, etc. It took me about five years to get a good shop with router tables, bandsaw, planer, etc. While all that stuff is nice to have, I still had fun and made a lot of projects without.
People built their own houses and furniture for centuries before electricity was invented. Hand saws, brace and bit, scrapers, planes . . . it just took longer
On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 23:03:46 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Unlike a lot of people I'd put a jointer and a planer right after a table saw. The difference in price between S4S and rough hardwood will pay for them in short order if you spend much time at the hobby. And a bandsaw for resawing ranks high for the same reasons of wood cost.
I'd put a brad nailer way at the bottom unless I was doing finish carpentry instead of WW. Or trying to emulate Nahm :-).

We're happy to spend your money for you. :-)
You can do quite a bit with just a circular saw and sander. Get a good circular saw and a great sander. The Bosch 1297DK is a good place to start with a sander.
A table saw would be a good next purchase, between the two saws you can handle almost any cut. Avoid cheap table saws, an inexpensive one will run around $400 new.
A compound miter saw or Radio Alarm Saw would be a good third power saw purchase. They make cross cutting easy, and allow repeatable cuts to specific lengths.
You'll need a good battery-powered screwdriver and impact driver. I like the Makita sets. Most come with multiple batteries, and the better ones come with "smart" chargers that stop charging when the battery is charged. (This feature will save your batteries!) Other tools such as circular saws are available that use the same batteries as the screwdriver kits, so you can have multiple tools and only one set of batteries to keep track of.
Minimizing waste is a process of planning, not tools. You'll find that conditions will require you to waste a bit of wood here or there. You may have to cut around a knot or rough cut something and trim to final size. Wood scraps do burn well, so use them to heat the shop or cook a hot dog.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

sal wrote:

For most, making sawdust is the goal.
A birdhouse, curtain valence, chess board, or a laminate floor is just a fringe benefit.
Does you wife knit? If so, I ask you what do you do with 83 afghans and 52 baby blankets?
Same idea.
On 3/30/2012 7:36 AM, HeyBub wrote:

As for me, I am just looking for an excuse to use my hammer! ; )

Bill wrote:

Get a pneumatic nailer.
I've forgotten how to use a hammer. Thinking back, I recall it's the metal end that's used to hit the nail.
Is that right?
HeyBub wrote:

Come on now! A nail? That's all you can think of to swing your hammer at? : ) Honestly though, affected by what I've read here, I take better care of my better hammers. Life was simpler back when I just had 1 hammer...

Well, you can always swing it at danger, a warning, or love between your brothers and your sisters a-all over this land, but generally swinging at a nail results in less chaos.
HeyBub wrote:

the nail or your thumb

No.
Throw away all your nails.
If something has to be fixed so that it might have to come apart one day, use decent screws.
If it's not going to have to come apart use glue.
--
Stuart Winsor

Only plain text for emails
On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 06:36:00 -0500, HeyBub wrote:

My wife donates them to Meals on Wheels.

On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 16:16:17 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard

Fascinating! What portion of our society eats them, pray tell? <g>
-- "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

Storytellers. They need raw material to spin their yarns.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Puckdropper wrote:

No, it Heats them! And, these are people who may not be able to afford to crank up the thermostat!

On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 12:35:29 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:

OK, you had your joke. But believe me the shut-ins are grateful. Linda's been donating afghans for years, as have some other women she knows, and MOW has *never* said they had enough.
It's also a good place to donate jigsaw puzzles, books, etc..

On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 23:28:24 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard

I think it's wonderful, but I just hadda do it.

I had no idea they'd accept articles like that. I have tons of books for them if they need 'em.
-- "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Attributed to Thomas Jefferson, but Massah Ed, he doan tink it so.
On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 20:01:43 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:

Another good place for books is your local library. Or, if you have something like it, a "Friends of the Library" group. Both sell the books to raise funds. Problem is, of course, that we seem to buy as many as we get rid of :-). Hard bound .50, soft .25, magazines .10 - hard to resist.