Powdered Pumice, rottenstone & Plumber's Rouge?

A question for olhzimers...please try very hard to remember those good ol' days of great books and hand finishes (careful now!).

30+ years ago, I used pumice slurry and a polishing compound commonly called plumber's rouge on select furniture and cabinet finishes. Got away from woodworking for these many years and just now beginning to play again.

So, what happened to plumber's rouge and powdered pumice/ rottenstone? Can't seem to find any of these products anymore. In fact, local Ace hardware and True Value stores claim that these products are no longer even available for special order.

What are folks using for polishing compounds these days ...not looking for hard to find select brands, just something I can purchase locally in small quantities. Ideally, Would greatly appreciate recommendations for equivalent substitutes of all three above.

Thanks all,

Reply to
Digger

Still available at Lee Valley, of course.

?p=20059&cat=1,190,43040brian

Stillwater Lake, NS

Reply to
Brian

buffing. Niiiiiiiiiiice! ;)

-- Life is full of obstacle illusions. -- Grant Frazier

Reply to
Larry Jaques

My local True Value Hardware stocks them as does the Ace Hardware about 10 miles away.... Me thinks someone at the stores isn't looking hard enough for you. ;~)

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

If you must have pumice and/or rottenstone, they are both available from Amazon and other vendors.

Reply to
Larry W

Woodcraft has them, however any decent automotive paint store will have products from 3M, duPont, or Meguiars that work as well or better and are more convenient.

Reply to
J. Clarke

"Digger O'Dell" ?

Possibly a character from:

Can You Top This? Fibber Magee & Molly? The Great Gildersleeve?

All old radio shows.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

As In "Digger O'Dell, the friendly undertaker"

Lew Hodgett

4F pumice is essential for the initial grain filling stage of French polishing. Rottenstone is used as an optional final rub to raise a high gloss. If the local paint store doesn't stock them, try Woodcraft, or any of the online luthier's suppliers, such as Stewmac. A 1 lb box should last you for years.

Plumber's rouge sounds like a compound used to clean copper pipe fittings before sweating. Would tripoli be the same thing?

Diatomaceous earth (dead plankton shells) is supposed to work as an ultrafine compound. Never tried it, but you can buy 5 lb bags of Safer (tm) brand, sold as an organic nonchemical insecticide. It doesn't work as a polish, feed it to the roaches.

Reply to
Father Haskell

--------------------------------- Google is your friend.

Try "Life with Riley" with Bill Bendix as Riley on the radio, later TV.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Actually the original character was Digby "Digger" O'Dell the friendly undertaker, and the original show was "The Life of Reily" featuring William Bendix. And with that, I will be shoveling along...

Reply to
Digger

Yep, but cannot find locally anymore and was hoping not to have to special order online. Don't like doing financials online - for anything. Thought perhaps their might exist a more commonly available substitute.

Could be, though seems to me it was indeed known simply as a Plumber's rouge and often the final process in the application of hand rubbed finishes ...not the same as a French polish, but same goal with quite a bit less work.

If memory serves correctly, also used similar methods to remove scratches on plexiglass desktop covers when these were fashionable.

I believe plumbers used the compound to clean & polish porcelain/ baked enamel, and chrome fixtures after repair or installation. Doubt you would find a plumber today with that sort of ethic or pride, but, maybe so...

I will ask around about Tripoli and see what I can find.

Excellent suggestion! Sounds reasonable and worth further pursuit.

Thanks,

Reply to
Digger

Thanks Larry,

Yep, I was aware I could order online, but really hoped I could find something suitable that was locally available. Even our local Sherwin Williams & the nearest Lowes/ Home Depot (40 miles) no longer carry these items.

Didn't know about Waterlox, something new to me, but do appreciate the heads up and will definitely investigate further.

Thanks again...

Reply to
Digger

Could be you are right John, but neither one here, in North Central FL, claims any knowledge nor is willing to order. Local paint dealer is Sherwin Williams and has never heard of pumice, nor painter's pyramids, nor paraffin, nor much of anything else useful. Nearest home centers are

40 miles away and neither stocks any of the above. Oh, but they do at least know of painter's pyramids.
Reply to
Digger

Yep, operative word is "online." A dreadful process and anything but convenient. Was sorta hoping for a more permanently localized solution, but, as you indicate, may not have much choice...

Thanks,

Reply to
Digger

Would you be able to expand a little on the auto-paint and perhaps, in terms of course=pumice/ medium=rottenstone/ fine=rouge, point me in a comparative direction? When it comes to automotive finishes, I have absolutely no clue ...isn't that the purpose of having car insurance?

Thanks,

Reply to
Digger

replied elsewhere...