Powdered Pumice, rottenstone & Plumber's Rouge?

Page 1 of 3
A question for olhzimers...please try very hard to remember those good ol' days of great books and hand finishes (careful now!).<g>
30+ years ago, I used pumice slurry and a polishing compound commonly called plumber's rouge on select furniture and cabinet finishes. Got away from woodworking for these many years and just now beginning to play again.
So, what happened to plumber's rouge and powdered pumice/ rottenstone? Can't seem to find any of these products anymore. In fact, local Ace hardware and True Value stores claim that these products are no longer even available for special order.
What are folks using for polishing compounds these days ...not looking for hard to find select brands, just something I can purchase locally in small quantities. Ideally, Would greatly appreciate recommendations for equivalent substitutes of all three above.
Thanks all,
--
Digger
Bob O'Dell
Digger wrote:

Still available at Lee Valley, of course.
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p 058&cat=1,190,43040
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p 059&cat=1,190,43040
brian
Stillwater Lake, NS

Also available is Waterlox in the SATIN finish, which requires no buffing. Niiiiiiiiiiice! ;)
-- Life is full of obstacle illusions. -- Grant Frazier
On 3/8/2011 5:11 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Thanks Larry,
Yep, I was aware I could order online, but really hoped I could find something suitable that was locally available. Even our local Sherwin Williams & the nearest Lowes/ Home Depot (40 miles) no longer carry these items.
Didn't know about Waterlox, something new to me, but do appreciate the heads up and will definitely investigate further.
Thanks again...
--
Digger
Bob O'Dell

Just so you know, that's not a gloss finish like you were after. I was joking, referring you to a satin finish. It is, though, my favorite finish out of all I've ever tried. I prefer a hand-rubbed finish and this accomplishes that smoothly, easily, and very nicely.

Jewelcome.
-- Life is full of obstacle illusions. -- Grant Frazier
On 3/9/2011 7:43 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

<snip>
Understood what you meant, but after reading the literature I was immediately intrigued. My curiosity will win out in the end and will likely give it a go. Thanks once again for the pointer...
--
Digger
Bob O'Dell
On 3/8/2011 11:21 AM, Digger wrote:

My local True Value Hardware stocks them as does the Ace Hardware about 10 miles away.... Me thinks someone at the stores isn't looking hard enough for you. ;~)
John

Could be you are right John, but neither one here, in North Central FL, claims any knowledge nor is willing to order. Local paint dealer is Sherwin Williams and has never heard of pumice, nor painter's pyramids, nor paraffin, nor much of anything else useful. Nearest home centers are 40 miles away and neither stocks any of the above. Oh, but they do at least know of painter's pyramids.<g>
--
Digger
Bob O'Dell

If you must have pumice and/or rottenstone, they are both available from Amazon and other vendors.
plausible, and wrong." (H L Mencken)
On 3/8/2011 6:20 PM, Larry W wrote:

Yep, operative word is "online." A dreadful process and anything but convenient. Was sorta hoping for a more permanently localized solution, but, as you indicate, may not have much choice...
Thanks,
--
Digger
Bob O'Dell

Dreadful process? If it weren't for e-tailers, I'd only have a couple of trips a year to the toy store.
bob snipped-for-privacy@whocares.com says...

Woodcraft has them, however any decent automotive paint store will have products from 3M, duPont, or Meguiars that work as well or better and are more convenient.
"Digger O'Dell" ?
Possibly a character from:
Can You Top This? Fibber Magee & Molly? The Great Gildersleeve?
All old radio shows.
Lew
As In "Digger O'Dell, the friendly undertaker"

I wrote:

--------------------------------- Google is your friend.
Try "Life with Riley" with Bill Bendix as Riley on the radio, later TV.
Lew
On 3/8/2011 9:43 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Now you have it...<g>
--
Digger
Bob O'Dell
On 3/8/2011 8:04 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

--
Digger
Bob O'Dell
On 3/8/2011 7:40 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

undertaker, and the original show was "The Life of Reily" featuring William Bendix. And with that, I will be shoveling along...<g>
--
Digger
Bob O'Dell

You mean you weren't just troweling the newsgroup? <grin>