Porter-Cable 890 series ?

I am considering getting the P-C 891 Grip-Vac router for a new router table. One thing I like about the 890 series is that they provide both 1/4" and 1/2" collets.

First though, I have a few questions.

  1. Does the above-table bit height adjustment feature work well? That seems to require two holes in the top. Why are two holes required?

  1. Though I may do some panel raising, that is not the most important use for me. Is the 2.25 HP sufficient for those larger bits if I go slow, but not too slow?

  2. Does the one-wrench bit changing work well? Does it all happen above the table or must one reach under the table for part of it? I assume there is a collet lock thingie in there somewhere. Perhaps a slider. Is changing bits simple and easy or a PITA?

Hoyt W.

Reply to
Hoyt Weathers

It seems to, but you don't need their tool - you can use an appropriate socket wrench (screwdriver type). One hole is used to lock and unlock the cam that holds the body of the router in place, while the other adjusts the height.

Overall, I'm not too impressed with this. There's a widget that pushes a pin into the arbor on the router to prevent it from turning. You have to push the router all the way in to engage this widget. Sometimes I get it most of the way down and the thing gets snug, so I get the feeling it's engaged, but it isn't.

My biggest gripe is with the amount of wiggle in the plunge base. If you get it moving vertically smoothly, it seems ok, but a slight change in force on one of the two handles and the thing locks up or the bit moves, rotating and sliding sideways. Overall, I keep having the nagging feeling I should have got the Bosch 1617 router.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

I agree. Same problem in mine. PITA. Although I still use the mechanism rather than two wrenches.

Also, on the fixed base, the "micro" depth adjuster is virtually useless. There is a great deal of play in it, and the bit depth does not change consistent with the amount you turn the adjuster, even after the play is out. The "worm" mechanism has a flat spot in the thread. I spoke to P-C support, and this flaw is on all of them. Although I wouldn't rely on the the adjuster's guage for bit depth in any case -- I measure this directly -- it is still very annoying when trying to zero in a precise depth.

/rick.

Reply to
RickS

TKX for your comments Mike. I already have the Bosch 1617 EVS and I love it. It also has both the 1/4" and 1/2" collets. What it does not have is above-the-table bit-height adjustment. That specific feature, and only that, is why I was interested in the P-C

891. I will probably just use my Bosch 1617 EVS and be done with it. I do not really need another router!

Thanks again,

Hoyt W.

Reply to
Hoyt Weathers

Everybody needs another router....

This is really want you need:

you have used one of these, those cute router tricks with socket drivers is over....

Hoyt Weathers wrote:

P-C 891.

Reply to
Pat Barber

I have had both 1 wrench routers and 2 wrench routers. Experience has taught me that 2 wrenches is MUCH easier than 1 wrench. With 1 wrench you always have to grab something else with your other hand. Be that the router itself if not mounted in a table or the table to give yourself some leverage as you push or pull the single wrench. With 2 wrenches, you can tighten or loosen the collet with a squeeze of your single hand.

Reply to
Leon

If it's like the 8529, you can use two wrenches, and the second wrench is included in the above-the-table kit. At any rate, the router raizer is another possibility. It would cost less than another router.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Mraz