Polish question

I have an old table which I cleaned with Murphy's Oil Soap. It did a pretty good job of cleaning it but now the finish is dull. I was going to use Liquid Gold and then thought better of it.

Anyone know of a good polish that I can put on the table to bring back the luster?

Reply to
grinder

Any good past wax. Apply with 0000 steel wool and buff up to luster you prefer.

Keep in mind with wax, less is more, it takes very little and too much will buff up nicely eventually but marks up easier (hand prints, etc.).

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Well, by heritage Polish, but I guess it's Shinola you're curious about.

Are you _sure_ it's the finish that's dull, or is it just dirt you didn't get? Make sure it's the finish, by wiping with mineral spirits, then wax it if it is. I wouldn't apply with even a mild abrasive (0000) unless I could see scratches in it. I'd use the soft cloth and buff.

Reply to
George

"grinder" wrote in news:HRhCd.6050$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Any kind of paste wax (Johnson's, Briwax, Trewax, Liberon, etc etc) with a soft cloth.

I wouldn't use steel wool if the table is supposed to have a high gloss finish.

Reply to
Nate Perkins

Thanks. There are some cracks in the finish because the table is so old but I don't want to refinish it right now.

Reply to
grinder

"grinder" wrote in news:yKyCd.122$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Oh, paste wax isn't a refinish. It's routine maintenance for most furniture surfaces.

Reply to
Nate Perkins