Pocket screws to attach edging to PB

I have a commercially made router table made out of 1 1/8 inch particle board for use in my table saw as an extension table. The top is laminated but the edges and bottom are not. I would like to to edge the sides with 3/4"x2" oak. Would pocket screws and glue be a good way to attach edging?

Reply to
jadern

IME, biscuits and glue would be a better method, but pocket hole screws will work. The biscuits would make it easier to flush the top to the edging by referencing the appropriate surfaces.

You should also realize that by making the edging thicker than the top, you will be making it difficult to clamp to the table.

Reply to
Swingman

??? The top is flush. This is not a difficult clamping situation. Turn the piece so the top is facing down on a flat surface.

I agree with using the biscuits and glue but if that is not an option then consider this. Using screws and going into the edge of particle board may not be the best approach. But if you drill some dowel holes from the bottom side up towards the top (but do not go thru the top) and then plug them with hardwood dowel material - the screw will have cross-grain to grab into and have a greater grip. Less chance for stripping and pullout. Also a good chance for you to try some poly glue (Gorilla Glue, etc.) since the particle board is so porous. Dampen the edge of the particle board and apply the poly to the oak edging. Apply, clamp and then screw it down. I would use trim screws. Pre-drill the oak with the right size bit and when the trim screws are installed, countersink them just enough so you can fill the small hole with some wood filler. The trim screw heads need a square drive so be sure to pick one up. As I recall the small screws (1-5/8" long) use a #1 drive.

Top

Reply to
Bob S

Spoken like a man/woman who never tried to clamp anything to a standard drill press table, or any table whose edge is thicker than the table top itself ... don't look now, but you missed the point entirely.

Reply to
Swingman

As you said "by making the edging thicker than the top you will be making IT difficult to clamp to the table. I presumed that "it" in this sentence referred to the object of the sentence.

Now I see you were trying to say something entirely different. I agree that a flat surface on the bottom of the table is quite desireable.