PM66 Users

Hi Posted a few days ago about alignment problems and got some great reminders thanks for that. While working normal alignments I have noticed 2 things about my 2 month old PM66 1. I can lift the blade arbor up and down when wheel locks are tight measured to be about 20 thousandths 2. Pushing in and out on the lift wheel causes the entire assembly to move back to front between the trunions feels about the same as #1 Anybody else experience this? 2 calls to their techs and they say this is normal I'm having a tough time believing these aren't contributing to my setup headaches Thanks Joe
Ok, I mot a PM66 user but one last thing to look Joey,
I was under the hood of my Jet and looked at the shaft that the elevation wheel turns. The shaft attaches to the back of the trunion. Where it attaches there is a small "Stop" "Collar". IIRC I heard that this stop which is adjustable can be adjusted to take out play.
Take a look at the manual at the exploded diagram to find the collar and see if that might fix the problem.
Thanks for the help here and on the other post Leon. The latest is I now get amazing glass smooth cuts in 8/4 cherry and maple if it keeps cutting like this I will abandon my practice of cleaning up cuts on the jointer. I think it was a combo of errors. It started with terrible burning and grabby feed on said boards so I started adjusting the rip fence toe. In the process I switched from regular kerf blade to thin kerf blade thinking that one would be easier to achieve adjustment with. So from the other post the suggestion came up about the belt tension... seemed pretty loose and I tightened that up. Much better feel to the cut much more power from the motor but lots of saw marks, adjusting the toe wasn't helping a lot which I last set to about 0.008". So I get to thinking about that thin kerf blade sure enough lay it on the table and it has some unevenness. I put the 1/8" blade back on and absolutely beautiful rips ... nickel stays on edge even while cutting The weird thing about the gears is that there is no backlash in the movements from up to down. That shaft doesn't go all the way thru and the collar on the front was set up fine I'm still bugged about the play and am going to track down a local PM rep. but I'm not one to argue with the results I now get. If the little bit of slop was a problem I don't see anyway I could get the results I now get. It was a good exercise to get under the saw and see how much iron this thing has BTW what are serpentine belts?

see

if
on
Yeah those are the cuts I get. Usually shiney smooth.
Snip

It
Is ther another NEW PM that you could look at? Like at the store?

Serpentine belts are the new, well new 20 years ago, automotive belts that are wide and have several v-groves on the in side for extra gripping power. They can also be routed in any direction in that they do not have to bend to the inside like a typical V-belt.
Yup gonna try to find a store around that has one, local Rockler sometimes has one set up.

maple
cuts
rep.
of