Plunge router base for Craftsman

I have a standard 2HP Craftsman router and I'd like to use it to cut mortises with. I really don't want to go buy a 2nd router for this. Is there anyone who makes a kit to adapt a standard router for use as a plunge router? I've searched sears.com, but haven't bee able to find anything.
Curtis wrote:

How deep are you cutting? Is this for hinges etc or for Mortise and Tenon joinery?
Brad
Mortise and Tenon Joinery... For hinges, I don't think I'd need a plunge router since I can just come in from the side. I was thinking that even for the deeper mortises, I could just set the router on edge and then "rock" it down to the work area, but I'm assuming if I tried it, I'd learn why people don't do it! :-)

plunge

Do they make a plunge base?
I attempted mortises without one, then ordered the plunge base for my 690 the next day.
The PC 690 kit with dual bases is only $200 . .

you don't need to change anything. just chuck up a bit, position the router where you want the mortise and turn it on. ARHA will take care of the plunge action.
> you don't need to change anything. just chuck up a bit, position the

Arizona Restaurant and Hospitality Association American Ranch Horse Association Australian Reproductive Health Alliance

I've a standard Craftsman router and make mortises with a router table with a fence. I mark on the fence the mortise limits, hold the work piece against the fence making sure the bit is between my mortise marks on the fence, and slowly force down the work piece onto the router bit. Then just move the work piece between the marks on the fence and corresponding layout marks on the work piece. You could use a stop in lieu of one of the marks as well. Just don't go more than a 1/4 inch depth at a time. It is a lot smoother operation that way and not as much tear out.
Thunder