plastic flaps for dog door, any ideas?

I built a dog door from scratch, but I'm stumped on what to use for the plastic flaps. My first thought was to use a car mat, but I really want it to be transparent, and all the transparent flaps I saw had the little plastic feet on the bottom (perhaps I could cut these off, but still a pain). I also looked at Walmart at shower mats, place mats for a dining table, etc., but the selection of transparent mats was pretty much non-existant.

Anyone have any good ideas or know where I can find some thick transparent plastic that would be good for a dog door?

Thanks, Dustin

Reply to
Dustin

Try a carpet shop, there is a thick clear plastic sold off the roll as a carpet protector. It has little sharpish feet on one side to stop it moving about, but they could be cut/sanded/melted off pretty quick I'd think.

Barry Lennox

Reply to
Barry Lennox

At any pet door flap replacement store like PetSmart.

-- Ernie

Reply to
Ernie Jurick

I agree with the post about the carpet protector, though the refrigerator door flaps would be good (if expensive) if you could find them. Or, maybe you have a local plastics retailer. Check the Yellow Pages. Some sell varieties from plastic bags to bulletproof thick stuff.

Coincidentally, I was wandering at Lowes website today and they have a "project" page for a dog house. _Looks_ good ... but there is no cover for the doorway and it is centered in a traditional way.

there is no door/cover, a better approach is to put the doorway well off-center so the dog gets a protected corner at the front of the dog house. But then, it might not match the main house!

Reply to
Igor

Dustin,

I replaced the flap in our dog door with a piece of clear "hall runner" from home depot.

6 years in the central FL sun and its' time to do it again.

Frankly, I tried to obtain a replacement or a similar sized door and couldn't locate what I was looking for. . . total cost aprox. $2

Reply to
rob

I've seen transparent floor mats for cars and assume they still make them. A trip to a couple auto parts stores or maybe WalMarts auto section should answer that.

Reply to
John DeBoo

Reply to
Dustin