Plans For Attached Shed To Outside Back Wall of Garage

I have been searching the web for plans to build a shed for storing lumber that is attached to the outside back wall of my two car garage without success. The back wall of the garage is thirty feet wide and I want to tuck the roof of the shed under the existing soffit of the garage roof which is eight feet tall. My dilemma is how to attach the shed roof rafters to the garage wall. Any help would be appreciated. Woody

Reply to
Woody

Woody,

Look for a storage shed in one of the magazines. I seem to recall a storage unit, like you suggest either in Wood or Workbench within the last year. Also, go to a book store or Woodcraft (which has a lot of great books), there's a book on storage sheds (Sunset?) and I think one of them has what you're looking for.

Good luck!

MJ Wallace

Reply to
mjmwallace

Mon, Jun 11, 2007, 7:46pm (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@att.net (Woody) doth sayeth: I have been searching the web for plans to build a shed for storing lumber that is attached to the outside back wall of my two car garage without success. The back wall of the garage is thirty feet wide and I want to tuck the roof of the shed under the existing soffit of the garage roof which is eight feet tall. My dilemma is how to attach the shed roof rafters to the garage wall. Any help would be appreciated.

Around here if you attach it to an existing structure like that, you need to have a permit. If it's free-standin, and no more then

16'X16' don't need a permit. A guy I knew had to pay a fine because of doing just that. He was told that if it had been put even an inch away, no prob. So you might want to check first.

JOAT If a man does his best, what else is there?

- General George S. Patton

Reply to
J T

Same here in Middle Tennessee Joat. Any agricultural related building doesn't need a permit, of course so long as they don't annex me into the city limits. Of course then I will move.

To the OP if you can do what you want and don't need a permit I would run a 2X along the wall at the height you want your shed roof to be at. Are you looking to use a lean too type roof?

Reply to
Dale Miller

Lag a ledger to the existing garage wall and use metal rafter ties to secure the rafters:

Nova

While I didn't do it for wood storage, I do have a small "shed" mounted to the back of my shop that holds my compressor and dust collector and is maybe 8x6 or so. You didn't say how your existing garage rafters are set up, if it's just rafters and a soffit, wouldn't it be possible to bolt the extension rafters to the existing rafters? I wouldn't assume the new shed is going to be that large or that the roof would be carrying a lot of weight, would it? My shop has a flat roof with no exposed rafters so I couldn't do it like that.

Make sure you check for city code, you may need a permit, they don't tend to look kindly on people doing work without them, in fact, they often just make you tear it all down and start over.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

I concur with the above. I'd also suggest getting a copy of the FHA minimum property standards. They have drawings for mimimum standards for almost every conceivable construction technique. Minimum means just that. There's no law against stouter than required. But it's a bad mistake to do less.

Reply to
sandy

Mon, Jun 11, 2007, 11:18pm (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@twlakes.net (Dale=A0Miller) did sayeth: Same here in Middle Tennessee Joat. Any agricultural related building doesn't need a permit, of course so long as they don't annex me into the city limits.

That reminded me of something a friend told me a few years back. A guy in Raleigh wanted to put up a garage, but didn't want to pay the increased taxes. So he had to get around the permit, and all. The increase was going to be on new structures, and getting a permit would automatically have nailed him. There was to be some sort of eye-ball view of all the buildings in Raleigh. So he got crew together and put up his garage in one day, complete with a paint job that made it look like it had been there for years. It would have worked too, except someone connected with the tax office had been by there a few days before, for other reasons, and remembere there'd been no garage then. LOL The guy was not only stuck with the increase in taxes, he hadto pay for a building permit, and pay a fine for putting it up with no permit in the first place I think the nailed him with some sort of a fine on trying to evade the tax too.. All in all, I think his instant garage cost him about $10,000 extra.

My garage, at 20'X24' means I've gotta get a permit. It would also mean I'm required to get a floor poured, no option. I've been thinking about maybe just putting up a couple of garages, not joined, of about

12'X20', instead - as long as the totall square feet doesn' exceed a larger area then 16'X16', no permit required, and any type floor. That'd take care of my kid's, then put up another for just me. Can't afford to move, so got to come up with creative options.